Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ortonville

fish fry

9 posts in this topic

we are planning on having a fish fry this weekend.we bought a mini turkey fryer. what is the best way to cook them in it? and also what is the best recipe for a batter.this will be our first time useing it and dont want to screw things up

I use peanut oil(but any is ok)

meatfish fish and chicken strip breading

batter is;

1 box jiffy corn muffin mix

equal panko

equal breaton sesame crackers ground into powder or whole wheat cracker

1/3 to 1/2 jar mrs dash garlic and herb

I start with 1/2 the fallowing and let people taste test,and make a portion with out either and add cayenne and chili(I watch my sodium) some folks love it salty.

1 tsp lemon pepper(cheaper brands are high sodium)

1 tsp fav season salt

add cayenne and chili powder if you like it hot

pat fillet dry and dip in 50/50 egg/milk wash,roll in breading and deep fry.

tarter sauce:

any store bought tarter

add 1 jar of finely chopped artichoke heart

about 4 fine chopped sweat gerkins

1/2 of a lemon juice

add a T or 2 of mayo or miracle whip

I have not tried baking this yet but my guess is that it would work fine and be much healthier.(

I too bought fryer this year and used it to fry up some fish for my daughters baptism. It worked slick because you can cook a ton of fish at one time. No one was waiting with the plate held out. What I used was a 50/50 mix of Pork extra crispy Oven Fry and Regular Shorelunch. I used canola oil instead of Peanut. (I'm cheap :)) I fed 15 people it took 2 boxes of each, one bottle of oil, and a playmate lunch cooler FULL of sunnies, crappie, and walleye.

I go easy... I soak the fillets in evaporated milk(many use egg, I use the milk as I think it makes a crispier batter.) Then I just use Cracker Meal and a little flour and Lowrys mixed in.. take the fillet out of the milk dip in the cracker meal, fry.. that simple, and ohhhhh so good.

As Deitz Dittrich does, I do as well when I don't have all the other stuff handy and its pretty tough to beat(something to be said for simplicity).I've never tried the evaporated milk but I will next time. I'll do a side by side and may never use egg again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

When life deals you lemons use them on fish with fresh dill and rosemary.

meatfish, let me know what you think.. sometimes I mix a little lowrys into the evap milk as well.

seasoned flour, whatever season's you like( i like lowry's also ), eggwash, than into a batter like panko crumbs or heck even some more seasoned flour. After applying the final dip into the flour give it some time for the flour to soak in so that it doesn't all float off and turn your oil into a mess.

I love Mckormicks fish and chips batter with beer instead of water. I also do a instant potato coating......dust filets in flour, then in egg, then into instant potato flakes you have to press the fillets into the flakes.....watch your oil temp. The flakes burn easily, but makes a nice delicate crust.

Darn. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were inviting everyone to a fish fry. grin