Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coyotewylde

Wolves

22 posts in this topic

If any hunts in north-east MN, you've seen how the wolve population has skyrocketed since they were "re-introduced". Don't misunderstand me here, I believe in natures balance but it the same as the Insurance companys pushing for higher deer harvests(6 deer/person zone 100A). Population control! Any deer hunter or hunter will agree, its a lond day when you don't see anything! 5 years ago we would see 15-25 deer on a regular basis during a 4 hour hunt! Now, maybe 2, and usually when you see a deer come in, his ears are perked up, hes looking around and your thinking"Here Comes Mr. Big" but instead its being chased by wolves. 9 times outta 10 theres wolve tracks coving ours when we come outta the woods and ocassionally theres a pile of scattered bones on the trail in the morning. They have to control their population or between the wolves & the Ins. companys, the Whitetail Deer will be next on the endanged species list.

I guarantee that the "Tree Hugging Euphorians" that dictate the "List" don't live in areas where there are wolves. They think their so pretty! Ya they are pretty but what do you think they would do if they were walking the dog down an old logging trail in NE MN and a loner(wolve kicked from the pack) came and grabbed your dog who is on a leash right next to you and drug them into the woods??? Or walking back from the deer stand and a pack of wolves lites up and starts howlin so close it makes the hair on the back of their neck stand up??? I think they would probably climb a fricken tree and wait for the sun to come back up so they could get home to a clean pair of drawers! shocked MN's deer population will end up just like the economy, record deer harvests every year. That combined with the # taken by wolves will keep increasing untill eek rock bottom strikes. I believe a wolve typically takes 1 deer per week, multiply that by 52 and X 4 or 5 thousand wolves there are in MN.

I don't know where you hunt but in the areas I hunt in NE MN, we rarely come across any wolves. Saw my first wolf while deer hunting two years ago. Spent nearly 10 years in the logging business and I can count on one hand the number of wolves I have seen in the area. The only wolf kill I ever came across was one I predicted ahead of time. I noticed a sickly looking doe one day while logging and thought to myself that she wouldn't be around very long. Sure enough, two days later I found the carcass. Nothing was left to waste. In fact, the hide was picked so clean that I took some of it to use for tying flies. I didn't have to treat it to preserve it and I still have that hide today.

The deer herd fluctuates like anything else but at this time it is still very healthy.

Incidentally, when we saw that wolf two years ago, we also shot a nice 8-pointer about three minutes later. Both animals came through within 20 yards of us and the deer would have been downwind of the wolf.

Bob

Theres definetly a pack hangin round where we hunt. Its around silver bay. I'm not saying we see them all the time, but that doesnt mean their not their! You dont see bears in the woods either but they are definetly there. Why do you think MN allows baiting, cause thats the only way to see them in most cases.

First off wolves were not "re-introduced" in NE MN, they have always been there. Also if you were see 15-25 deer per day in NE MN, the herd needed thinning any how, probably the reason you have wolves in your area consistently.

Now I would agree at some point hunting should be a(n) option. But that is up to the state now to decide when.

Lets not blame wolves for a few bad hunting seasons, wolves will not eat themselve out of food.

WOW!

You signed up just to vent about your displeasure with wolves. And I see by your signature you bought into one too many Little Red Riding Hood stories.

I see you live in Willmar....Long way from wolf country. What do you REALLY know about wolves? Do you have any kind of background in Biology, Ecology or animal behavior?

I will agree with you that they no longer need protection from the ESA, but your paranoia is mind boggeling! The wolf will not wipe out one of their main food sources!

I see wolf sign all over where I hunt near Two Harbors, but I see 50 times more deer sign.

Nature will balance itself out... Just relax and enjoy hunting in the beautiful woods in Northern MN!

If any hunts in north-east MN, you've seen how the wolve population has skyrocketed since they were "re-introduced". Don't misunderstand me here, I believe in natures balance but it the same as the Insurance companys pushing for higher deer harvests(6 deer/person zone 100A). Population control! Any deer hunter or hunter will agree, its a lond day when you don't see anything! 5 years ago we would see 15-25 deer on a regular basis during a 4 hour hunt! Now, maybe 2, and usually when you see a deer come in, his ears are perked up, hes looking around and your thinking"Here Comes Mr. Big" but instead its being chased by wolves. 9 times outta 10 theres wolve tracks coving ours when we come outta the woods and ocassionally theres a pile of scattered bones on the trail in the morning. They have to control their population or between the wolves & the Ins. companys, the Whitetail Deer will be next on the endanged species list.

I guarantee that the "Tree Hugging Euphorians" that dictate the "List" don't live in areas where there are wolves. They think their so pretty! Ya they are pretty but what do you think they would do if they were walking the dog down an old logging trail in NE MN and a loner(wolve kicked from the pack) came and grabbed your dog who is on a leash right next to you and drug them into the woods??? Or walking back from the deer stand and a pack of wolves lites up and starts howlin so close it makes the hair on the back of their neck stand up??? I think they would probably climb a fricken tree and wait for the sun to come back up so they could get home to a clean pair of drawers! shocked MN's deer population will end up just like the economy, record deer harvests every year. That combined with the # taken by wolves will keep increasing untill eek rock bottom strikes. I believe a wolve typically takes 1 deer per week, multiply that by 52 and X 4 or 5 thousand wolves there are in MN.

What is the point of your first post? To warn hunters and people out in the woods of pending danger?

When was the last time any human (or their dog) was attacked by wolves in MN?

Quote:
5 years ago we would see 15-25 deer on a regular basis during a 4 hour hunt! Now, maybe 2

Hard to feel sorry about that point crazy

When was the last time any human (or their dog) was attacked by wolves in MN?

Dogs get nailed on a fairly regular basis - in fact its so commonplace that it is not newsworthy. I've had a couple of close calls with my labs over the years - but like any responsible dog owner in wolf country, I take precautions and pay attention when the pooch is out.

Any deer hunter or hunter will agree, its a lond day when you don't see anything! 5 years ago we would see 15-25 deer on a regular basis during a 4 hour hunt! Now, maybe 2, and usually when you see a deer come in, his ears are perked up, hes looking around and your thinking"Here Comes Mr. Big" but instead its being chased by wolves.

I agree, tough to feel sorry for you when you only see 2 deer a day! On a lot of days during rifle season that's twice the amount I see!

Populations cycle! 2 years ago we had quite a few wolves crusing around where we hunt. It definitely affected our original game plan, there were not a lot of deer around, so we relocated a little and got away from the wolves and found where the deer were hiding. It all worked out!

I figured there would be alot of criticism! The morale of my post was that I disagree with the decision to put them back on the endangered species list. We are not going to move to a different spot to find more deer as we have a lease and would more than likely intrude on a piece of county/state land some else has been hunting for years.

I think maybe this year we should all shoot 6 deer if we get the chance to reduce the deer in the area. Highly unlikely as we only take what we need.

Is it common to see wolves when your bear hunting? Probably not. No bears this year because of the high berry crop I assume but they did see several wolves. so ya, their there.

Mayebe my attitude stems from a few bad years of hunting allthough, I passed up some decent bucks over the years or maybe cause I'm a diehard coyote hunting just itching for the chance at a wolf. All in all, I still believe that they need to be regulated and that the government is pursueded way too much from big business such as Insurance companys. Maybe the population is high enough for a 6 deer bag limit but I think its overkill.

And do you really think I signed up here just to post this? It was on my mind so I used this thing they call a forum, you can express your opinions on it! shocked

Mayebe my attitude stems from a few bad years of hunting

Remember though, correlation does not always equal causation.

Welcome then coyotewylde smile

I agree, tough to feel sorry for you when you only see 2 deer a day! On a lot of days during rifle season that's twice the amount I see!

Understand that there are lanes around my stand, some 200 yds/25' wide. So I see whats going through a good chunck of thick woods & brush. Maybe yours are similar but some times a member of our group sees multple #s and a 1/4 mile away I see none. I'm hoping for a good year. Good luck to you.

Dogs get nailed on a fairly regular basis - in fact its so commonplace that it is not newsworthy.

Jackpine is right. If you live in NE MN your hear about a dog getting taken down by wolves every so often. It isn't a suprise.

I work with a couple of guys that found a big bull moose dead last spring north of Two Harbors. They walked around a little more and found one of the fellas from the pack, dead, that must have taken a good shot from the bull before they finally took him down.

I spent a good part of the summer in the woods anywhere from 15 miles north of Ely to 15 miles north of Two Harbors and as far east as Brule Lake. From casual observations, I would have to say the population of wolves is pretty healthy (or the same pack was following me everywhere laughwink ) Another guy I work with and I were fortunate enough to be 20 feet from four pups, by far one of the coolest experiences I have had.

I live in town (Babbitt) and it isn't unusual to hear a pack howling right on the edge of town. Every so often when I can't sleep I go for a walk late night / early morning. I have seen two wolves actually in town in the last year (I also se a lot of deer in town). One would have made my 85 - 90 lb lab look like a chiuaua crazy

Quote:
I passed up some decent bucks over the years or maybe cause I'm a diehard coyote hunting just itching for the chance at a wolf.

That is the exact attitude that put them back on the endangered list. And as long as people keep expressing that attitude the Govt is probably going to keep protecting them.

I have lived in the heart of wolf country for years. Do they need to be on the endangered list? No. Do they take down deer and moose? Absolutely. But that's why they are here. I've seen several hundred wolves over the years particularly in my logging days and I'm glad that they are here. There are far too many timber rats (deer) around and I would like to see the heard reduced by about 50%.

Just like Lynx and Hares, when the prey population drops so does the predator population. This is basic stuff. If you're blaming wolves for lack of shooting opportunities maybe one could sharpen their hunting skills.

coyotewyldem Welcome to HSO/FM.

The inland hills along the North Shore are our snow belt. Even on a year without much snow those areas will get lake effect snow. So winter kill is much to blame for the lower deer numbers there.

There is something else unique about that area.

Whitetail deer migrate to the shores of lake Superior.

Up here we're on the Northern fringe of the Whitetail habitat.

Never in my days would I have ever thought we'd be in an intensive harvest situation.

If it wasn't for our easy winters we'd be back down to a Bucks only season. I might have to include Deer feeding which has become popular for some of those numbers as well.

At any rate you'll know that our Northern whitetail zone is getting at its Northern fringe when it starts to overlap with Moose Country.

As to wolves, we have just as many wolves away from the Shore and there are still plenty of deer.

I do think that because of the protection wolves have had for the last 4 decades, encounters good and bad are apt to happen from loss of fear.

I would also like to add that, by my understanding, the "re-listing" of wolves is for the relocated population in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. This doesn't directly effect our pack here in Minnesota.

Welcome to FM, coyotewylde.

I would also like to add that, by my understanding, the "re-listing" of wolves is for the relocated population in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. This doesn't directly effect our pack here in Minnesota.

Welcome to FM, coyotewylde.

Unfortunately Anyfish, that is not correct. The ruling does directly affect MN. It is uncertain if an appeal could possibly reverse this ruling, or if the USF&W Service will have to start the whole delisting process over, resetting the clock to zero on the five year moratorium on a regulated hunting season.