• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think I know the answer to my question.

Why would you even risk using any of this [PoorWordUsage]? Just set up where deer travel or feed naturaly. In other words, HUNT. I see these people in the stores buying this stuff and I think, spend your money on a better scope or rifle or more ammo to practice with at the range and you would be far better off than trying to take a shortcut. This baiting thing has gotten way out of hand. I hope the DNR confiscates alot of rifles this year.

See I think hunters that use minerals have nothing to be ashamed of. Minerals serve a lot of purpose. If you just put it out in the fall in hopes of shooting a deer well good luck. But if you use it like I do set mineral stations and keep them up all season it serves a greater purpose. It leads to healthy fawns in the spring, greater milk production in does. Oh yea larger fuller racks. I can say I do not have a stand located over a mineral station because I want the deer to use them freely and feel no pressure. Where C’mere deer interests me is if it will draw deer to a new mineral station a little quicker that’s great plus if will keep bring deer back I can put mineral in less traveled and make them more traveled. Or to spray on food plots that are less used so they will use to there full potential. That would be my goal. That’s why I would use the stuff if I did. Now to spend money on new equipment is fine but I would rather spend it on ways to keep deer on my property, keep them healthy, and better managed. It is worth every penny. Bu I digress I could go on and on with this topic and baiting for days. That’s my two cents.

Exactly. Spend your money on making the land better or like you said, use it to improve the health of the herd. But when guys buy it a week or two before deer season, it probably is used for baiting.

I've watched my brother put out a pie tin with corn on it for years...the red squirrels and blue jays love it. And he doesn't even hunt near it. I have also seen licks used all summer and the come deer season, there isn't any sign at all near these licks. You need to hunt. You need to set up where the deer are. I usually am not successful because I am not that good of a hunter and am out mostly because I enjoy being with most of the hunters I am with, and to meet other hunters and compare comments.

As far as the DNR...they are out enforce on the baiting issue already during bow hunting, and usually the reports are during the gun season, not the bow. Most bow hunters, are hunters, at least it used to seem that way.