• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think I know the answer to my question.

C'mere deer is considered bait in Minnesota. I would asume thats true. But I was told if you use it in liqiud form it is not considered bait. I would still consider it bait but I guess i could see the loop hole in it. Just wondering your take on it. Thanks guys.

Call your local CO to make sure, but it should rank right up in the legal status.

From the reg book Page 71

Quote:
Hunting Method Restrictions Bait or Feed

• “Bait or feed” is grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, or other food that

is capable of attracting or enticing deer and that has been placed by a

person.

• Hunters are not allowed to use or hunt over bait or feed or hunt in

the vicinity of bait or feed if the hunter knows about or has reason

to know about the placement of the bait or feed.

• A person otherwise in compliance with this section who is hunting

on private or public property that is adjacent to the property

where bait or feed is present is not in violation if the person has not

participated in, been involved with, or agreed to baiting or feeding

wildlife on the adjacent property.

• An area is considered baited for 10 days after complete removal of

the bait or feed.

• Liquid scents, salt, minerals, and bird feeders containing grains or nuts that are at least 6 feet above the ground are not considered bait or feed.

• This restriction does not apply to foods resulting from normal or accepted farming, forest management, wildlife food plantings, orchard management, or similar land management

activities.

Quote:
powder is not

By the way the law reads, it is. As long as it would fall under the salt and minerals, which most powder and blocks do.

As long as it does not have any grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, or other food that is capable of attracting or enticing deer and that has been placed by a person in it.

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. Thus not leaving a pile of food after a couple days, even with out rain. The liquid speeds this up, but has less potency (not as concentrated), which it does not stay around in the ground or log as long as when the power is used.

After this, a monster buck is supposed to run around with his tongue hanging out and dig a 3' hole around the area grin

At least the bag says this wink.

If you are going to use any product, call down to the St. Paul DNR office, get your local CO’s number, call them and ask if the product is legal to use.

Are you talking about powder C'mere deer or powder baits in general? I have no idea what is in C‘mere powder. Never used it before. Good reason to call your local CO.

I would have to guess if C'mere has crushed feed in the powder, it would have it in the liquid also.

I have had enough grin I just called down to St. Paul DNR HQ.

I did not get the guys name, but he was the first one to answer after a short pause on hold.

He did know what C’mere deer was. At first he said liquid form was legal and powder was illegal. I asked him why, he said because of fruits and roots in the powder. I then asked "what if the fluid and powder had the same ingredients in them"? He then said the liquid was legal, because is would be poured out and dissolve in the ground, where a pile of C'mere powder is a pile of bait. I then asked him “what if you just sprinkle the stuff around on the ground and not in a pile”. He then said that would be legal, as long as you are not hunting over a pile of it and can not see any product. He did say not matter what, hunting over a block of C’mere deer was illegal.

I did also ask him about straight mineral and salt products (liquid, powder or block). He said these are legal to hunt over at any time and while being on the ground (not 6’ up in the air winkgrin).

Still a very good idea to make the call your self before using any product and better to call the local CO (the guy who will be walking up to you out in the field)

Good luck!

My buddy was duck hunting out west he said he asked the CO. Cause me and him are the ones arguing on it. The CO said he considers it bait, but the law doesn't always see it the same way. He was left cunfused by the answer. He said the Co never gave him a direct answer on that topic. So he figured the CO wasn't shure. I don't wan't to use the stuff I just wan't to settle an argument.

C'mere deer is considered bait in Minnesota. I would asume thats true. But I was told if you use it in liqiud form it is not considered bait. I would still consider it bait but I guess i could see the loop hole in it. Just wondering your take on it. Thanks guys.

Well, in that case I would say you lost the argument then.

I have 2 comments on this,

1)if you buy it at the store it is probably legal, why, they lobby the lawmakers to make it legal.

2)Do you want to risk your hunt getting a citation and not being allowed to hunt? You might later win the case, but was it worth it.

These are just opinions, laws are written vaguely, by lawyers, so lawyers can then argue them in court.

During my conversations with the DNR in St. Paul and local COs, the consensus has been if it has food in it, it is illegal. If there is no food involved, it is legal. Minerals and salt, in any shape or form are legal. And even artificial flavorings like those in Buck Jam mineral are legal, according to my last conversation with the DNR. But if you look at the label on the package and there's anything food related, corn, acorns, soy mean, molasses - anything edible other than minerals or salt, it's illegal. Simple enough. Food = illegal. No food = legal. Given this, I doubt C'Mere Deer or any other minerals will do you much good now anyhow. I like to use mine to help attract them in the spring and summer for trail cam pics.

Yes and block topper would be illegal during hunting season. Anything with sugar in it as well, as sugar is considered a food, but for some reason, during a conversation with St. Paul, they said artificial flavorings, like those used in Buck Jam or similar products, are legal since they are technically not a food. Not sure I understand that, but this is what was told to me 2 years ago. Regardless, I like use a homemade mineral mix as soon as the snow is off the ground, work it into the soil and then crush one salt block and one mineral block with sledgehammer into smaller pieces on top of it. It's usually gone mid-summer and I replace the blocks then.

Ahhh.... I had the Co tell me Molasses was a legal cause it was not a food source they would depend on. Plus I think deer cane has a sugar based sweatener in it so then that would be illegal. My freind got checked hunting on his platform over a minneral rock with a molasses block and they said nothing about it. The co was amazed by the whole in the ground its almost a small water hole now. This is getting way to hard. This makes more in favor of controlled baiting every day. But thats a topic I don't want to get into.

Just because a product is sold in a store doesn't mean its legal to use at all times. Keep in mind you can put all kinds of bait out up as long as it is all gone 10 days before you are going to hunt the property.

Don't rely on the marketing of a mass merchandiser or retailer to assure your compliance with baiting laws.

Duane

The powder and spray are legal in MN (considered an attractant and not a food source) but the bucket of C'mere with the pellets n stuff is not. That would be considered a food and considered bait in MN. You can use it prior to the season but would have to be removed entirely at least 10 days prior to the season.

Hope this helps and glad you enjoy the show--write or call anytime.

I got this answer from a very good source that host a outdoors raido show off a popular sports station out of the cities. Finally a solid answser.

This topic is now DEAD. I guess my argument is settled and we both where right.

Quote:
I got this answer from a very good source that host a outdoors raido show off a popular sports station out of the cities. Finally a solid answser.

It is the same answer I posted on the last page from the MN DNR. Plus, is that Radio host going to back you up in a court of law?

As far as I am concerned, I would just not use C'mere deer in any form while hunting in MN. By the way people have posted in the past on its effects while hunting, the question of it's illegalness and the price tag it holds, just stay away from it during the hunting season.

As far as I am concerned, This topic is now DEAD also for me.

Good luck hunting!

Bumped in to are local CO in rochester at the gander mountain. He gave me the same answer. I guess its good to go. Plus they brought up the question on the air while i was at work and had the DNR offical answer it on his weekly spot. Or so my buddy told me.

It all goes back to this: food = illegal, no food = legal. Anything edible other than salt or minerals makes it illegal, except for "artificial flavorings," which I guess they consider chemicals or whatever. And maybe that's changed. But the food factor serves ast the litmus test. And again, salt and minerals are gonna leave you broken hearted anytime of the year if you think its the recipe for a big buck while hunting.