Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nofishfisherman

Coleman, Franken, Barkley Senate Race

518 posts in this topic

Well we have an Obama/McCain thread I thought I would start a Coleman/Franken/Barkely thread since this is the other hot race right now.

Personally I find the tv ads unwatchable, Franken and Coleman are beating each other up and pushing voters away. Neither seem to care about MN, Coleman is a Bush suck up and Franken is only running becuase he hates republicans. I don't see how either will get anything done if elected.

I am fairly certain that my vote will be for Dean Barkley, he has avoided the negative ads and is being rewarded for it.

He preaches fiscal responsibility, here is a quote from his HSOforum...

“If we want to fund something new, we'll have to de-fund something old. It's called living within your means. You do it everyday. It's about time our government does the same”

I don't want more taxes if we can cut funding to reach the same goal. But I also don't want to increase spending on needed areas unless we have a plan for how to pay for it without increasing the deficit.

Barkely seems to have a good balance of conservative and liberal ideas that appeals to me atleast.

You have the Red Coleman, the Blue Franken, and the Purple Barkley.

I can't vote for Coleman or Franken so I think its going to be purple for me in the senate race.

Franken 43%

Coleman 34%

Barkley 18%

This is according to the Star Tribune on October 4th. Last I heard Coleman was disputing the accuracy of the polls and Barkley was starting to see his results improve.

Both Coleman and Franken keep dropping while Barkely keeps slowly climbing. Its a war of attrition with Barkley being the benefactor of it. I think Barkely could end up picking up many of the undecided votes while Franken and Coleman beat each other up. We'll see if it will be eough, its a long shot but he is a viable candidate.

I think the 2 front runners are an absolute disgrace to politics in general, but especially the State of Minnesota. The negative ads are some of the worst I have seen, and they are equally bad from both sides. I would love nothing more than to see both of them lose.

I found that article about their poll, I found this interesting in it:

"The new results stand in contrast to the findings of a SurveyUSA poll, commissioned by KSTP-TV and also conducted this week, that shows Coleman with a 10-point lead over Franken, 43 to 33 percent."

I think this is a great example of why these polls are a novelty at best and not a real gauge of much. The only poll that matters is the one in the voting booth!

As to this race, I think Franken is an absolute embarassment waiting to happen. I'm not thrilled with Coleman, but he's a n experienced guy who's done some good things. I like Barkley OK, but probably he's hurting Coleman and helping ultra whacko Franken which doesn't sit well with me. I'd be fine with either Coleman or Barkley elected but Franken is just the next Ventura, and do we really need another reason to be the political laughing stock of the nation???

You are right lawdog except for one thing. Frankin is 100% worse than Ventura. He's a total wackjob. I'm liking Barkley.

I made up my mind for Barkley about three weeks ago when the attack ads came out. Coleman and Franken are like two preschoolers fighting over a crayon - just a pathetic display of leadership and maturity by both candidates.

I just wish Barkley would discuss education more.

Some polls are done well and some polls are not. I'm not sure which one is which here. Really I'm not concerned with them all that much.

I vote for the man I like and hope for the best. I don't like Coleman or Franken so I'm not worried about stealing their votes. I wish I could steal more of them.

Voting for Barkley here, couldn't care less about the other two.

Until the Republican Party gets its mind around the fact that they need to get back to fiscal conservativeness and the constitution, they will continue to see the split problem. I hope they wake up before the liberal majority gets way out of control.

I wish both the left and the right would head toward the middle, both sides have good ideas, I just wish they would focus on the positives they both bring and even themselves out a little.

One extreme only brings out the extreme in the other side to combat it. Neither really work.

Still hoping for a purple guy.

I'd take "Jesse the Body" any day over Franken! I too will be voting for Barkley. I can live with Coleman but could not stand to see Franken win. Hopefully Dean can pull this one out!

Hitman54, since Barkley is taking more votes from Norm than Al, your vote for Barkley will likely just help get Franken elected. Even with a fairly good showing at 15-20% polling, Barkley has almost NO chance of actually winning.

Lawdog,

I have thought about that and that's what was said prior to Jesse getting elected. Not sure if it will be the same this time? I will watch the polls as the election gets closer and if it looks like Barkley has no chance then I probably will vote for Norm.

I know lots of liberals and greens that are voting for Dean. His stance on prohibition goes a long ways with them. Dean has a chance.

Ever wonder what would happen if a candidate made a decision that s/he would not engage in any negative comments toward or about his/her opponent under any circumstances but rather spend their entire effort telling us why they feel that they are the candidate of choice?

Mud-slinging is for the birds. They twist truths, use partial truths, and in some cases blatantly lie to degrade their opponent all the while not saying anything whatsoever to convince me that they are any more qualified for the job.

I know one thing. If I went to a job interview using tactics like that, I'd be thrown out without any chance for hire. It really gets sickening listening to each of the candidates tell us why their opponent is not the right person. Geesh! Tell me why you are!

I sure hope Al and Norm are reading this. Maybe you'll get the hint to pull your heads out of your whatever and start to make human sense.

Whew! Got that off my chest.

Bob

I'm just trying to understand, a lot of Minnesotans have this hatred towards Franken. I just think he's funny. Can some one explain to me why they hate Franken?

I know lots of liberals and greens that are voting for Dean. His stance on prohibition goes a long ways with them. Dean has a chance.

Don't believe a word of it.

I'm just trying to understand, a lot of Minnesotans have this hatred towards Franken. I just think he's funny. Can some one explain to me why they hate Franken?

I don't hate the guy personally, I just think he's an embarassment as a politician and really he never even was funny as a comedian. Being a comedian and being an extreme left winger the likes of which makes Ted Kenneday look like a right wing pal of Jesse Helms isn't a great combination. There are about a zillion better candidates they could have ran than a guy who's never really lived here for decades, is a putz and made a career of just being a phony.

I have liberal friends that would never vote for Frankin. He got in because of the extreme views of the MN democratic delegates. I believe most main stream democrats would have preferred Cerisi.

Coleman is not going to lose to Franken. The Star Trib pole is the only pole showing Franken ahead and we all know their track record.

I don't believe a Barkley vote necessarily hurts Coleman more then Franken but he just doesn't have enough ground swell or star power to actually win.

In spite of Norms deficiency's we do need him to Win just to keep the Senate as close to even as possible. I'm not a end of the World type of guy but the last thing we need is the Dem's to Control the WH, Congress and have 60 Votes "filibuster" in the Senate!

Go Norm!

Please do not base your vote on ANY poll. Base the decision on what the candidate brings to the table and if you think that candidate will support your beliefs and if so vote for that person.

That is what this country is founded on, not some pollster telling you what will happen if you vote for Candidate ABC.

My belief is a fiscally conservative/socially liberal one, yet also think there is way too much PORK in govt. I would prefer to see a third party win every election.....shake things up a bit.

Good chance Barkley gets my vote.

Good point DTRO. I have to agree with you on the fiscally conservative - socially liberal thing. That is where I would cast myself as well.

Good point DTRO.fiscally conservative - socially liberal thing.

That probably describes more americans then we realize. There is just rarely a candidate that fits that bill.

Please do not base your vote on ANY poll. Base the decision on what the candidate brings to the table and if you think that candidate will support your beliefs and if so vote for that person.

That is what this country is founded on, not some pollster telling you what will happen if you vote for Candidate ABC.

My belief is a fiscally conservative/socially liberal one, yet also think there is way too much PORK in govt. I would prefer to see a third party win every election.....shake things up a bit.

Good chance Barkley gets my vote.

Is Barkley a fiscal conservative/social liberal? Maybe someone knows more about him than I do and can answer this.

Originally Posted By: Hitman54
Good point DTRO.fiscally conservative - socially liberal thing.

That probably describes more americans then we realize. There is just rarely a candidate that fits that bill.

As of what I have seen on this form I would say 90% plus of the people on here want to call themselves fiscally conservative. If that is the case were do the two sides differ? IMO is is on the the points of religion, personal responsibility and income distribution.