• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to clean an old (with some rust) gun

Hammer Handle

I'd first hit it with lots of Gun Scrubber. If shotgun, I'd also hit with some of that wad dissolver, not sure of the name, but it is quite corrosive, so keep it away form plastic parts.

I would hit barrel or rust with VERY fine steel wool to remove rust.

Then for lube I have found Break Free to be the best I have used - very light and just a touch will do it.

Good luck!

Steel wool works great, doesn't take too much off, but still gets most of the pits out. I take each individual piece apart when I work on guns, trigger, action, slides, bolts, etc... I clean them up with steel wool and then lube the heck out of them. They look and work better after that.

I've never heard of soaking it in tranny fluid. Would brake fluid work also? The reason I ask is that brake fluid can be a great cleaner but is washable with hot water. I'm not sure about Tranny fluid.