• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last night moon shot

Thanks guys! smile

It's not so bad after 10 minutes, but man, it gets HEAVY after a little while! It's a good thing I had it on the tripod. whistle

archerystud - Mike, I'm not as strong I used to be! But you can carry it around for me then. I'll hire you as a mule carry that heavy glass!

Interesting, Marc. A little sharper than I thought possible with the stacked TCs. How much sharpening did you do in PP and what were your sharpening settings? Also, was this shot RAW, or was it shot jpeg with some in-camera sharpening?

That 400 is mighty sharp on its own. Of all the Canon telephoto primes I've used so far, the 400 f2.8L Mk2 (non IS) produced the sharpest images for me (though not by much).

Nice to see yours is able to deliver acceptable sharpness even with the stacking, and your tripod and technique must be good as well. When you're up around 1200mm before even taking the camera's crop factor into consideration, any little wiggle will soften the image.

Excellent work!

Thanks. I learned great deal doing this, played around the settings on the camera till I got the sharpest I could see on the LCD screen of the camera.

You should know that I used the manual focus. Wanted to really fine tune the focus. I also used the live viewing of the 40d lcd screen to see. It was a bit tricky to keep your hand steady as I tried to focus. I shot these in RAW.

I didn't do any sharpening in photoshop, but I did use the noise reduction.

Let me think here...On my 40D camera has got a 1.6 crop, so 1.6 crop x the 400mm = 640mm x the 2x extender = 1280mm x the 1.4 extender comes the total of 1792mm. Yikes. Never really thought much about it till now.

I really wonder if I could borrow a friend of mine's 2 extender and try to stack on with what I have? eek That would make it..3584mm! But I'm sure that would degrade the quality of the picture?