• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Imported vs. US made blanks

One thing I forgot to mention. Another thing the US built blanks have going for them is the choices you have. You can have a factory built rod, an off the shelf custom, a full custom from a multitude of rod shops or you can build it yourself. The warranties also speak for themselves. I looked at the Rainshadow warranty and there is lots or room for them to wiggle out of it.

I could be wrong on this but from what I can tell the best Rainshadow blanks are right around the hundred dollar mark, and the IMX G. Loomis blanks are around $130-150. In my book thats not enough of a difference to even consider it.

I must say that I have never knowingly (who knows who's blanks the Gander, Rapala, Berkely and so on blanks are manufactured by) used a Rainshadow blank so I am not knocking them in any way, but I have used the blanks of St. Croix and G. Loomis and don't see a reason to change.

Personally I buy mostly St. Croix blanks and since I build my own rods, what happens for off the shelf or the "custom built" factory rods doesn't really pertain to what or why I buy.

Even buying Loomis, St. Croix etc factory rods may only mean that you are just getting a rod where the blank was manufactured here as I don't think anyone(at least not popular) in the US makes guides and most of the other components are made over seas too. Not to mention who is providing the labor to assemble the components, are they done in US or shipped else to the lowest bidder?

Just cuz it has a US name means nothing today. As a matter fact reading on the web a little G. Loomis is now owned by a US division of Shimano.

Welcome to the Global Economy/Market!