• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer tongue extension?

soldoncass

Question

I had a major issue getting my boat in and out at a public launch. My p.u. wheels were way in the water, and the boat was still "barely" in the water. Wet wheels do not make for good traction...so it was even more of a challenge getting out. crazy

Since then I have been thinking about rigging up a tongue extension for the trailer, to get the boat farther back. My idea is to get a piece of square steel that slides inside the existing tongue, so it can be extended 4 feet, for shallow landings. Anyone ever do that?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

They do make trailer couplers. Most people saw off the existing trailer beam and add these on (for storage usually), but you could just add one on for more length and still be able to put it in the garage. It probably adds 18-24" length on the tongue.

Maybe give that a try.

You can make a longer ball mount out of 2" square tubing that will go into your receiver.

I made a 2.5'er with a step that I use with a pickup camper.

4' is pretty long to haul with plus the added length will reduce the hitches carrying capacity and would be more apt to bottom out. Something like that I'd switched it over at the boat ramp.

Would mounting a hitch on the front solve your problem?.

4' is a long ways away from the reciever pin and like everyone else said you are going to loose almost all of your tongue weight witch will make it a pain to pull down the road if you make one that you wanna travel with make it like 2'. if your having traction problems is it time for new tires? I understand if your vehicle is front wheel drive I would understand but sounds like you are a truck guy and yes having wet tires hurts traction you should be able to get out.

good luck DZ

Good replys....thanks everyone...I wouldn't use it down the road, only at shallow ramps. My idea was to slide a square steel into the existing tongue steel, extend it only when needed, and have possitive stops at both ends. Wouldn't want to pull the extension all the way out.

A 4x4 would help with traction, to pull out, but not help with the shallow water problem. A different trailer may help, but not sure they sit all that much lower. Mine is a tilt trailer, that helps(need a way to control how much it tilts though), but my 2wdr p.u. was way in the water just to get the bunks down enough. Then no traction, with NEW tires, so it took 4-5 trys to get out.

That is why my brain is working.....any other ideas?

I'm not sure about mounting a hitch on the front......would that help my problem?