• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting near public land food plots

I was hunting the other night on some public land that I had gotten my first archery deer on last year. As I was walking out I was stopped and checked by two very nice COs. They had talked to me about seeing deer and such and asked me if I had been up to the backside of the land where there are two food plots. This being my second season hunting this land I hadn't even known about them. I took a walk tonight to find them and see if there was any sign around. The first plot was an 11 ac. picked soybean field and the second was an 11 ac. sorghum field with some sunflowers. Both fields are surrounded by CRP grass and then many areas of small oak tree plantings and some larger oaks. My question is would it be worth my while to sit close to the picked bean field or the sorghum field or maybe sit in the oaks? I don't have a stand and I will be hunting on the ground.

Might be worth a shot. What did the field look like - any tracks, scat? Most likely the deer are using the plots, but chances are it'll be in the security of darkness. Check the oaks for acorns. Any evergreens around? Since you'll hunting from the ground... figure out where the wind is and back yourself into a cedar and scout for an evening. You might find yourself better off near some thick bedding cover and catch the deer during shooting light. Good luck - it's always fun learning new spots.

if you can find a spot/ trails/ between the fields sit there if they are getting to the actual fields at dark if you sit in the wooded areas in between you might get them before its dark and on their way to feed. if you can position yourself between 2 even better if between the 3 fields you have a great chance.