• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rifle opener

kg243

how long have you hunted the mille lacs wma ive hunted rum river sf for about 5 years now just wondering how many people from the forum head out that way. good luck.

i might change place this year i might just head out somewhere else its still up in the air.

I have hunted there for about 18 yrs, and my dad and his dad have hunted there for as long as my dad can remember. They used to hunt the kentop trail, I hunt out of the parking lot on the big "S" curve. Where do you hunt in the rum? Much luck over there?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully November 8 or 9th is when the true rut will be up where we are at. Most of the basket bucks we see are not as swollen as the 3 and 1/2 year olds up there. I think the warmer Fall has pushed back the true rut. Hopefully the cold temperatures coming soon will get the rut going. I am also hoping for some snow too! Our best hunting has been snow, rain, or really windy days and the deer are everywhere. When it is quiet, sunny, and no wind it seems the deer don't move as much. My theory is they are afraid because of the wolves and leaving scent around.

I will be in Pine City hunting the Chengwatana Forest. Been hunting there for 5+ yrs now. Anyone else in the area??

Used to hunt way up north near Emily. That got to be to far of a drive for sunday nights though so we moved in closer to the city. I kinda miss the big woods.

I will be hunting 200 acres of family owned land in WI this year with 2 other people, one of which will be deer hunting for the first time, so it will be a fun year. My other half will be hunting with me this Nov. and will be happy to have her with me. The other member of our hunting party will be hunting on the opposite side of the property, so my girl and I will have 100 acres of great land to ourselves!! Plus, my dad and I went up for the WI antlerless only season and harvested 5 does, so there's plenty of opportunity and plenty of deer running around! While hunting that weekend, I was able to see a few shootable bucks, so it'll be an exciting year!!

Originally Posted By: USPENAMC
kg243

how long have you hunted the mille lacs wma ive hunted rum river sf for about 5 years now just wondering how many people from the forum head out that way. good luck.

i might change place this year i might just head out somewhere else its still up in the air.

I have hunted there for about 18 yrs, and my dad and his dad have hunted there for as long as my dad can remember. They used to hunt the kentop trail, I hunt out of the parking lot on the big "S" curve. Where do you hunt in the rum? Much luck over there?

My father and his buddies used to hunt over by Olsen's field. I believe the last year was the Halloween Blizzard of 1991. We use to go way back in the corner and hunt the swamps but just way to many people there now. I did harvest a doe back there during the middle of the week last year. Middle of the week isn't so bad. I try to hunt back there about 2 days out of the season.

I will be in Benson, MN for the first time on newly aquired 340 acres of CRP. We are surrounded by corn and beans, which should be out right before opener. We have pictures of 3 - 8 pointers and 1 - 10pt. The thing that I have noticed is that all the dear have very long tines and almost no spread (15" or so). All the bucks seem to be in that 2 1/2 year age range. Can anyone tell me if this area supports older deer or is this the best I am going to see? I would say 2 of them would score in the low 120's. I just don't know what the area holds for deer. We leased the land primarily for pheasants.

I typically hunt down in Houston, MN and the deer down there get massive, but now I have to hunt with family so things change.

Will be up on agassiz wildlife refuge again this year. Have hunted there all my life and my dad has most of his. Always love going back up there. Seems like home to me. Hope to see some grouse next wed when we get there. Would make a perfect meal for the deer camp. Good luck all!