• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camp ripley

The count down has begun and I'm already finding myself looking at the clock and then back to the weather channel, then back to the clock. Its going to be a long few days. So far the weather is looking good for the first hunt.

I'm going to try and make the FM rendevous at 6 but I just found out that our camper arrangement fell thru. cry Its now scramble time! I guess we'll tent it if we have too, but that's our last resort.

Nels

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew...that was close! We scored on a big enclosed trailer with heat and lights and a side door. At least we're not tenting it.

Lots of frost on the car this morning, which should get the deer moving.

Game on!

Nels

Looking forward to the hunt. I'm going with a group of guys 2nd weekend. I haven't been there in about 4 years. 2 of us are camping in a pop-up, the other 2 are roughing it in the motel.

Is anyone else having a hard time working today thinking about Sunday? I am not working too hard, I am looking for some arial maps to print out of the area we hunt, and maybe a few other areas to try.

Good luck to everyone!

Good luck guys!

I won't be going for the first time in 4 years. frown I'd give someone directions to my tree but I would just want it back later when I get drawn again anyway. wink

Sticknstring,

The one sure thing about Ripley is: Don't go there if you NEED to have total control over your hunt. Once a person can accept that, you find it to be O.K. for a two day hunt. smile

I don't know if you ever got the advice you were looking for on Sherburne, but if you'd like to know what I've experienced, drop me an email. tsac4 @ hotmail. com.

I did get some feedback from some fellow FM'ers on the refuge. I was all geared about getting up there but as gas prices have spiraled down I've been driving further north to private land instead. I'll definitely be checking it out later in the season though. When I do... I'll be sure to pick your brain. I appreciate the offer...

heard from a friend in line already that the line was a mile long at 10 am and they will be waiting for the rest of the line in the am again. Serves them right for not obeying the laws. They should not even let those people in tilll noon. maybe next time they will read and obey the rules.

what happens if you show up later in the afternoon? I have not gone before and was planning on showing up later in the evening, how long will i have to wait in the morning to get out, its not like I have any spot to go to anyway.

Kevfish1,

So what are they doing to the people that show up too early? Are you saying that the people which show up at noon get allowed in and the early ones are getting sent in later.

I'm not hunting Ripley this year but in the past I showed up early only because I didn't want to be so far back in line. If they start letting people in at the alotted time and in order then I will show up at that time.

In any case it would be nice to see some pics of some of those Morison Co. bucks

WEll the first day of the first weekend is done for us. WE ended up 1 for 3 with a doe shot. We saw a total of about 20 deer. The doe that was shot by my nephew was a nice 105.lber Some nice bucks were brought in. Total deer at 7:00 was around 115 with a lot of people still in line. Biggest so far was 217lb 12 pointer. Thing was a hawg. I saw 11 myself today. Lots of does and fawns moving. With one a decent 8 or bigger running that would not stop for me. All in all a good day in the woods, will give it a try again tomorrow. KOOBA.

nice deer. I seen many deer and passed on a couple of does and a spiker. In the 2 day hunt I seen about 11 deer on stand. There was a 225lb. 8pt. that was brought in late Sun. night. Lot of button bucks and basket 6's and 8's that were harvested. Of the deer I seen get weighed on Sunday I would say only about 5-7 were "bruisers".

Someone explain the body size to the antler size on that deer for me? It looks like that deer is huge in weight, shouldnt a deer that big have a larger set of antlers. Ripley has alot of monsters so I would assume most of the deer have fairly good genetics.

I think Ripley gets a lot of monsters because the deer get old enough to get big racks. My guess is that buck would have never had a real nice rack, I don't think he has the genetics. If he is a 3.5 year old he maybe could have made it to a 140-150 class in a couple of years but that would have been about it.

Kind of like since my dad is 5'7" I never really had a chance to make it as a center in the NBA!

He's still a nice deer though!!

I’m going this coming weekend. It will be my 6th week up there (I think). We’ve had some success. My buddy has 2 does and I shot an 8 point a few years back. We’re trying new spots this year. If anyone has a honey hole they’d be willing to give up, I’m listening  Even though I got a buck up there I really never see very many deer. My 9 last year was the most I’ve ever seen up there.

I heard there were 324 deer shot (that was a record for one week) with the biggest being over 230 pounds. I also heard there was a guy that got lost and the state patrol had to bring in a helicopter. Didn’t find him until 11pm. Anyone have any dirt on that?

--A hunter over the weekend was lost, but then found. The Todd County Sheriff’s office said it received a report of a missing bow hunter in a Wildlife Management area along County road 16 in Turtle Creek Township Saturday night around 9. An immediate search was conducted by members of the Morrison County and Todd County Sheriff’s Offices, Randall Police and Browerville Fire Departments, and at about 10:30, 43-year old Keith Kotsmith of Oak Park, MN was found. Kotsmith said he had become disoriented after dark, and was unable to find his way back to the entrance. He was not injured. A special thanks was given to all who helped in the search.

Copied from Falls radio's web site

This may be the story that you heard.

Stuck a young doe yesterday afternoon. Was my first Ripley hunt. A lot of people, but I was able to hunt several areas without running into anyone, although most spots that looked decent had trucks 200-300 yds apart. I did a fair amount of scouting and found 4-5 sleeper spots for the next time. In the two days I saw 2 bucks. I passed on a 6 and watched a very nice 8 pt at around 75 yards. Saw 9 does/fawns. I made a 28yd shot and had to thread the needle thru a small hole in the brush. Hit her perfect. The Rage 3-blade I use did it's job and she collapsed within 20 yards. Huge blood. All in all it was a good time. People were courteous. Good luck to all on 2nd hunt.