Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cody Lubeley

Ashby area waterfowl

12 posts in this topic

I'm heading up to Ashby this weekend for the pheasant opener and to do a little duck hunting in the mornings. Usually we have done really well in this area later in the season.

does anyone have any reports on how they did last weekend on the ducks?

Didn't talk to anyone but for all the shooting I heard on Sunday Morning, somebody did well. Complete opposite from Saturday, heard very little shooting. Lots of corn left in the fields, roosters could be tough.

Decent for us. Mostly teal, but had mallard, woodies, ringbill, butterball and gadwall. Saw redheads and of course cans. No geese, but saw an average amount. We had a good opener - not limits but a good variety and plenty of shooting. Good luck! Do you stay at Ashby Resort, or with frineds? If the resort tell Mike and Diane hi from Box's smile

nice report BoxMN, but no i have stayed at the resort in the past but one of my dads buddys owns a bunch of land on lake jolleyanne, that is where im staying and the lake i will be hunting as well.

sounds like some good reports! that would be cool to shoot a couple of red heads lubey! cant wait to hunt it this weekend

Watch for Cans -- Christina has a bunch sitting out there so I'm guessing they'll get kicked around a bit this weekend. Good luck fellas - we've been hunting there for 25+ years and this is about as many birds as we've ever gotten for the opener. Normally its better as the season goes on.

Thanks for the report HugoBox

Good to hear christina is slowly starting to come back and hold birds again i can remember around 4-6 years ago when there wasnt a single bird on it except a couple flocks of coots

Opener was good to us but yesterday was dead. Nothing flying to speak of. No early diver flocks or mid-morning flights. Almost no shooting, maybe with more pressure on the weekend they will move.

This is the weekend for pressure, everybody with a dog will be out chasing Roosters. With a bit of paitence every slough will have someone walking around it putting up ducks, why, in search of the wily Rooster. Ducks should be moving all day. I know of several bow hunters who will sit all weekend because of the pheasant hunters moving deer. The nice thing about it, is I'm on days off, no work until Monday night, time to work on camp meat, duck soup and pheasant parmesean. Good luck to all and be safe and kind to your fellow hunters.

One thing I noticed on christina is that the weeds are gone this year. alst year the weeds were thick all the way out and i mean thick. This year 30 yards out and they stop. I think that could harm the ducks out there for feeding becuase thats why they come is to feed on those underwater weeds. I know we had a poor opening weekend out there it was bad.