• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

just had starter replaced, mechanic now things it sounds weird

I had my starter replaced in my '01 chevy silverado about a month ago. Had the oil changed today and the guy wants me to bring it back in tomorrow to check out the starter. It's working fine, but he thinks it sounds weird "like there's too much air going through it".

If they do replace the starter they installed a month ago, should I expect to pay the whole bill again for a new starter? Should the part have any warranty? Thanks.

Most shops have a 12 month/12k mile warranty. Most parts stores offer at least the same. If its less than a month and the starter is the cause than there should be no additional charges. As shack mention it doesn't hurt to ask!

Airjer brought up a great point.

The standard for years for a warranty has been the 12/12. I have heard of a 6 month/6000 and I have heard of a 90day situation.

All dealers have the minimum 12 month, 12,000 miles warranty (some major repairs come with longer) and most After-market shops have this as well.

I also have heard (in the case of a starter) the labor to replace will be limited, but the part will be warranted longer or for "Life".

Might be a great idea to ask them what the warranty you have on your new starter.

Also run of thumb, having it replaced under the warranty does not start the warranty over again, but it might just be a good idea to ask about this also.

Good luck!