• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you prefer company, or alone?

titelines

All,

What do you prefer...to fish alone, or with someone? I know there's many factors involved, but...

I usually have someone with me in the boat, but the last few times out, I've been by myself and have really liked it. I could sit in silence if I wanted. I've tuned in a Twins game, which was very nice. I've hooked up the iPod and listened to podcasts, or music.

Maybe it's just the feeling of being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want...or that you can enjoy complete silence...or that you've got the whole boat to yourself.

I've also liked the feeling that, whether I have good luck, or bad; I am doing it by myself. I have liked testing myself to see if I can find the fish and figure out the right combo to catch them. I'm doing it myself; which is making me a better angler.

Whatever the reason, I've really enjoyed the "me time" I've experienced the last few times out.

That being said, I love it when the wife comes out and catches fish, or when we can take our niece out for the afternoon. Nothing better than watching someone reel in a nice fish, especially when they don't have the opportunity to get and enjoy the sport very much.

What about you?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-anglers think that we are CRAZY for fishing alone. However, I do enjoy fishing alone from time to time. My biggest problem with it is that there is no one there to take a decent picture of the fish that I catch. I'm a big CPR guy. The "me" time is good, but I kick myself whenever I miss the opportunity for an awesome picture with a fish.

I like both. At times, I like someone in the boat for company or to take pictures or to share in the fun. But I also like to be alone at times, too. It's fun to do things for yourself, sit in the silence and enjoy the water, make your own decisions about how and where to fish, etc.

There are times when I don’t mind fishing alone, but really have come to prefer spending time with company.

Fishing is much more fun while sharing the good times and making memories with others.

If I'm on an outing for the whole day I like to have company, but I never let not having a partner keep me from heading out. If I'm fishing from shore it is usually a solo activity. Fishing trips to Canada and elsewhere I like to have a partner. Although I have taken many solo camping/fishing trips to the B-dub, Kab-Nam and Rainy.

I prefer alone or with the ole girl. 70% of my fishin is alone 20% is with my better half. 10% is with youngsters or a neighbor.

When alone or with the better one I dont feel as tho I need to be on fish,BUT with the others I want to have them getem! (Kinda pressure)

I like my alone time and fish by myself quite often. However having someone else with some experience and drive to go get'em in the boat is always welcome when on a tough bite. When I do get on a good bites I am always looking to take someone out who doesn't fish that often and get them hooked on it.

I don't like fishing alone anymore. I use to but I really miss turning around and seeing sandman flushing his "system".

smile

After last sunday, i really hate fishing alone. caught a nearly 20lb flat head and i had a helluv a time getting him in. If I had a buddy, it would've been a lot easier. Fishing on shore alone just plain sux.

I don't like fishing alone anymore. I use to but I really miss turning around and seeing sandman flushing his "system".

smile

After last sunday, i really hate fishing alone. caught a nearly 20lb flat head and i had a helluv a time getting him in. If I had a buddy, it would've been a lot easier. Fishing on shore alone just plain sux.

sick Egads man did you have to do that? grin

Does not bother me at all to fish alone. Yes, it may be harder to land fish but I have landed fish up to 30#'s by myself.

The comapony is nice but when fishing by onesself, one can go where they want and fish how they want to. One can also start and stop when they would like to go home.

Works either way but I won't stay home if no one can go along.

I'm quite the impulse fisherman......frequently deciding to go within minutes of leaving the driveway. That being said, I have a hard time getting people to go with such short notice. So, most of my fishing is done alone with the exception of hitting the river or going out of town. Although during lazy summer afternoons it's nice hitting the water with a few buds and suds. wink

I do most of my fishing on Lake Superior where 2 lines are legal per person. So I usually like to have 3 friends with so I can run 8 rods. It feels weird when I go to an inland lake by myself and only can run rod. I wish I could put rods out for the dogs, then I would do a lot more fishing by myself smirk

On a side note I got my dad hooked on fishing the past year and the time spent in the boat with him is great.

Both are good. I think I'd fish alone more if I could use two lines. Trolling two per has always been fun in SD and any time I'm jigging I wish I could dead stick another. Not sure that I care too much if MN goes to allowing two lines or not, I just think if they did I'd fish alone more.

I fish alone more then I fish with others and that is mainly because it is hard to find people that can get out on a moments notice. I sometimes only have a half hour to rig and run and get out so it is relatively difficult to get folks that can just drop and go out. On the other hand, I do enjoy taking folks with me and getting them on fish and chatting and so forth. I tend to stick by myself when searching and working new areas. Sometinmes it is boom and sometimes(more often then not) bust. For those times, I like to try out the spots for myself and work them thoroughly. Ice fishing is when I do alot of what I call prospecting. I fish areas that are rarely fished but get to have the spots to myself and this can pay big dividends. I typically don't take just anyone along on the prospecting trips as I don't go into it knowing it will produce fish and don't want people disappointed if they don't catch fish. Once I find a spot that produces I'll bring a few select folks out to try and refine the bite. I like company but other times I just like to fish whether I'm catching or not. The one thing I can say, is the guys that I have fished with from FM are top notch fishermen and great company and friends. Even a bad day on the water with good friends is better then a day at work.

Tunrevir~

I prefer to fish alone 75 percent of the time. I have figured out alot more trends and patterns on the rivers by myself, actually thinking about what I am doing. Its great to have company sometimes, but thats when I become inattentive to the small things that matter, that can put you on fish. I live in a 500 sqft home with my wife and 3yr old, so I like to hear the wind, waves, birds, and barges, and the beep of a new promising waypoint getting put in the GPS.

Ahhh. I love the river.

Joe

I prefer company, but this summer I did far more fishing alone than ever before. I do like having the whole boat to myself sometimes though, you get the first cast at the "good" spots. laugh