• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

liquid versus fan/air cooled

mrjigger

I am looking into buying a used sled.

What are the pros/cons of liquid, fan or air cooled machines.

Many of the sleds I am looking at are fan or air cooled.

Will I have a problem with overheating if I purchase an air cooled machine.

This may be a dumb question, but I am new to snowmobiles.

Thanks.

Overheat, no. But the biggest con/problem is lack of HP with fan cooled. 500 fan vs 500 liquid is a huge difference in performance. However, I'd bet you'd be alright not having the fastest sled on the trail. I overheat with liquid and actually believe you'd have less problems with a fan. Liquids rely on snow to cool the liquid where a fan will blow on the motor and since it is typically cold out, fans perform better in low snow conditions.

you have to watch the air temps with a fan cooled sled sense the relay on the air to cool them. i have only owned liquid cooled sleds and have no trouble with them.

i agree with the low snow condittions fan is the why to go

You can run a fan cooled sled in temps in the 40's no problem. Its when you have those temps and then get into that heavy wet deep snow that will overheat a fan cooled if you don't watch it.

One plus a liquid with heat exchangers in the tunnel is the tunnel won't ice up. Deep snow + slush on the ice and freezing temps will pack a fan cooled tunnel then freeze.

I prefer my fan for fishing over my liquid. No need to worry about having enough snow to cool the machine that way. Lubricating the hyfax is another story and both types will have issues with no snow but I'd rather burn up hyfax than a motor. I have run my 500cc fan in 40 degree temps without issue. I have not had a lack of power with my fan, I think lack of traction usually comes first. Sure it does have less power than the liquid, but like I said losing traction usually comes first.

Pretty much the same as the responses above: dont be afraid to buy air-cooled. I've run only air-cooled for 20 years, never had a problem.I just purchased a late-model used sled last year: fan-cooled.

Dito with the above. I have both. The fan is lighter and easier to throw around in the corners but a liquid has ALOT more HP for the same cc's. I have melted down the fan riding in the mid 40's. We do alot of trail riding up north, 100+ miles a day, I would only buy liquid.

I have also had a few of each, and I would say if you are useing for fishing/light trail riding you are very much ok with a fan cooled. Like said abouve if you want HP and speed, go with the liquid!! I am very sure that you will not be upset with either, go with the best deal you can get and you will be fine either way. As for the tunnel freezing up on a fan cooled model, I have never ran into that problem, just need to be a little more alert, you know if you are riding and then staop give it a lift and drop a few times and you are good!!

I have had both types of sleds. There is nothing wrong with a fan cooled sled 90 percent of the time.

They are cheaper and have fewer issues related to cooling system -- they don;t have one.

It all depends on what you use it for. If it is for just riding around the yard or to the fish house it is a great sled. For ditch banging and trail riding with your buddies that all have Polaris Dragons -- Not a good choice then.

My 488 was and still is a very dependable, and easy to start sled. usually second pull. The neighbor's wife has it and loves it. It is light and pretty quick.

Again -- depends on your application.