• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Packing List?

lenny7

Anyone have a packing list you use for your dog for upland hunting? I've got my first dog and will be taking him out to South Dakota this November and I want to make sure I'll bring everything I should. I searched the forum but didnt' find anything.

keep an eye on the temp, water. I know it could be bad to give a dog to much water when he is running hard but in my opinion not enough is worse. Let them go into a stream or standing water if you run across it. rather stink then overheat.

The things that I've had problems with are sore feet, irritated eyes, skunks, and porkupines. Pheasant hunting is tough on the dog. Make sure he's in top-notch shape and try to get his pads toughened up. There are some good products for this. I like to use dog boots if there's snow on the ground.

There are some good dog first aid kits on the market. If you don't want to buy one, get some of the key ingredients that differ from ours. Opthamalic ointment for the eyes, a muzzle, EMT gel, etc. I also like to carry a short leash in my vest, just in case. And make sure he's got a collar with your phone numbers on it. Don't want to lose him.

I bet the two of you will have a blast. My guy is 1 1/2 years old and heading to Canada on Saturday for his first big hunting trip.

Skunk odor remover:

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet, be sure to rinse off him off with water. Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.

The recipe definitely works, only thing is you should use 1/3 cup of each with some water to solidify them Scrub in good and rinse well.