• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winter storage

Ridgeway

Question

I have an opportunity to store my boat with outboard in a barn. The barn is well kept up
on a working farm. Do I need to worry about mice and other rodents if I use some moth balls and rat/mice poison? I plan to use my canvas boat cover as well.
Thanks Much
Ridgeway

6 answers to this question

Mice will most certainly be a problem. Two ways to counteract the mice invasion. Moth Balls and Bounce. I place mothballs in the Rod racks, live wells and any other storage areas. I'm told Bounce works as well and has a more pleasant odor than mothballs. I have never used Bounce so I can't say if it works or not. One last thing, and the most important thing, in the spring make sure to remove the motor cover and check for any rodent nest. I had a buddy who darn near blew up his motor due to a nest built inside the engine compartment. CHECK IT BEFORE STARTING YOUR MOTOR IN THE SPRING.

Another thing that is suppose to work great for all kinds of little pests is Irish Spring bar soap, just tear the end out of the box and set them in your boat and storage areas.

People that store classic cars for long periods swear by it!

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 10-18-2002).]

Geee, I use Irish Spring soap in the shower every day.....what's wrong with it ?
Do I have to change brand ? Is this the reason why I don't get......(you know what I mean) a lot lately ? grin.gifgrin.gif