• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonka or WBL?

Griggs

I can't speak for Tonka, but I can tell you that White Bear has been in a funk lately. I stopped fishing it for a few weeks in September because of SO MANY other boats out there fishing muskies. I did hit it late last week and more of the same. Saw a couple lazy mid-30's and that's about it.

Between the two, I'd hit the West side of 'tonka. Less traffic relatively speaking) and good waters. That said, both will still be busy, and WBL maybe a little more since it was the "featured" lake in O. News last week.

Maybe try Wac or Indy too?

I have only hit Tonka a couple times in my life so I always feel kind of lost out there but I lucked into a nice 44" out there last week.

I have been having success on another west metro lake also. I've had some multi fish days out there including a new PB. It has been nice and quite over there. Not such a zoo over there.

Pleasure boaters are finally calling it quits on Tonka too btw!

Nice success ratio out there rmac! I'm trying to get down to Tonka sometime this fall. I used to bass fish out there a long time ago, but have never chased muskies. What bays are good on Tonka? There are so many to choose from. I'm not asking for any of your (or anyone else that wants to comment) spots, just a point in the right direction would be nice. I talked to some guy at Thorne Bros and he said they moved a bunch of big fish and boated a 48 and 53 out there last week. Along with a couple others in the high 30's - low 40's range. He was stocking up on Magnum Bulldogs, so I'm guessing that was the ticket.

Went out to Tonka last night for a couple hours, saw one with in 5 min of being out there surface right over some bait fish on the ledge, figured it was gonna be a good night. . .got one little pike to completely inhale a shallow raider, kinda funny. But yah that was it, fishing Wayzata Bay. Beautiful night out there but, no fish

yeah, alot of people nail em on Tonka, but my experience on Tonka is equal too or worse than my results on Mille Lacs (which arent good, but better than Tonka)...no idea how people nail em on Tonka, i cant figure out Tonka, but wont quit trying!

goosehunter, I was referring to your recommendation to make the drive and fish Mille Lacs. I just meant that your description certainly isn't the case this year, though I don't disagree with your assesment generally!

Agreed with propster's point.......Mille Lacs has been tough and still is, I too would consider alternatives.

Here are my thoughts on the two lakes:

WBL: Look to secondary areas, not just the classic spots. There are areas I fish with regularity that are not called out on any of the maps. Point being, any given weedline will hold fish at any given time.

Tonka: Head West, less pressure due to accessibility from the Metro, and many good areas. Hardscrabble, Halsted's, Boy Scout Isle area.....tons of good water. Don't always follow the crowd. There's a launch in Cooks Bay I use often.

my uncles buddy went up to mille lacs a couple weeks ago and didnt catch anything for 3 days...and on the last day the wind switched and within 45 minutes they caught a 54.5, 55 and 56.5 on the same mid lake hump. I couldnt believe the pictures. They could have ate my 52 I caught out on tonka.