• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I hunt SE or SW Minnesota and why? (DEER)

Christopher Quast

Cant make up my mind and have never hunted either of them and would like some opinions on which is better and why.

Please tell me in your reply where you hunt out of these two areas and what you see for buck quality and overall deer numbers and also the pressure it recieves.

Dont want hotspots... Just general info on these areas and please list what season you hunted. Thanks

I don't know much about SW Minnesota, but that being said, I have hunted SE Minnesota and my response would be SE MN hands down. I have seen some very inpressive deer around there and have seen many big bucks killed on public land. I was on public land when I hunted there, and personally watched a 170" buck 70 yards away (bow season), but we have muzzleloaded and still seen big deer. There is considerable pressure during the firearm season, but if your patient, it can be a very productive area of the state.

Just my .02

Good Luck

Ok, I'll be nice... SE Mn is God's contry for deer hunting as far as I am concerned. Lots of BIG bucks, plenty of does, and lots of beautiful bluff country. Actually, a 231" monster was arrowed last weekend about 2 miles from my folks' house. I know nobody will believe me, but the story will be out and circulated soon enough.

Hey goldtip I live and hunt in SEMN, and if you can't tell by some of my previous posts on QDM etc... I think that this area of Minnesota has some of the best whitetail hunting. The bucks can get big, and there are plenty of does. If you can get on a tract of private land, all the better. The stateland fills up pretty fast though. Let us know where you go.

That pic isn't close to a 230 incher. It's a great deer but about 5 feet short. I would also go to SE MN. T-here are hotspots everywhere though and there are some great spots in SW MN as well. In general though SE is the winner any way you slice it. Good luck when you make the trip.

Ditto for me as well. I hunt the SW cause my family has land down there. There are some nice deer down my way and I can't complain, but I've thought of skipping hunting with the family to hunt SE many times. If it wasn't for tradition and the camaraderie I'd hunt SE.

I have hunted SE MN since I could hunt. We go the first season(A), and there are a lot less people than the 2nd season.

Plenty of nice bucks down there. Do a google search for an archery/sports shop in Chatfield and go to their gallery. That will show you some of the bucks in SE MN.

I think there are decent deer in both areas. I grew up spending a lot of time down in SW MN and have seen some awesome deer. But I would say that SE MN in general is a better pick, for the scenery if for nothing else.

Sorry fellas, but it is indeed 230. Talked to the guy who scored it. They also have its sheds from last year. It has 23 scorable points (many of them around the bases and brows), 23 inch inside spread, and 26 1/4 inch main beams. Do a search and you will see pictures of it from other angles... once you see those you will agree.

Great deer no matter what you score it.

This is what I found.

Monster Minnesota Buck Scores 231

We don't have much info on this awesome buck, but it is making the rounds on the Internet and reportedly was taken near Hokah Minnesota and scores 231 and some change!

I'll agree, he doesn't look to be 231, but the tape doesn't lie. If you look closely, he does have a bunch of junk near the bases. Sucks that you have to become a member of the other site to see the rest of the pictures.

OK, I registered, (I'm a loser) it is worth a look, the other pictures are awesome and it sounds like it was a small team effort and that there will be a great story to follow.

Ok the big buck is cool, but do you guys think we could get my post back on track??? Everytime I check my posts I get all excited that I have more responses and hopefully more info only to find out somebody went out in left field and lo and behold my question is no longer the topic.

Ok the big buck is cool, but do you guys think we could get my post back on track??? Everytime I check my posts I get all excited that I have more responses and hopefully more info only to find out somebody went out in left field and lo and behold my question is no longer the topic.

It sounds like most everyone answered your question before it got off track. Look at the bag limits this year - the entire SW section of MN south of highway 94 is 1 deer only and doe by lottery permit for the entire deer season - that alone should tell you something about the deer numbers when compared to SE where it is intensive harvest with a limit of 5....easy choice if I had the option.