• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best inexpensive way to hook up 2 gas appliances

Christopher Quast

What would be the best and also inexpensive way to hook together a cook stove and a wall heater in my fish house?

Mostly what I'm looking for is should I use copper line all the way to the tank or should I convert it once it is outside the house and what kind of valves should I install (if any) and other things I should consider when doing this. Oh ya one last thing what type of regulator can I use for both the stove is out of a camper and has 3 burners and a oven and the heater is a blue flame-Glo Warm if that helps. Thanks

go to your nearest propane supplier and let them help you---get it done right and be safe----I saw way to many "unsafe" do-it-yourself jobs when I worked for a propane company. They should have all the correct parts that you will be needing. BE SAFE

I am not quite sure if this is the area of your house construction where you should be looking to save money. Like stated before - if you have any doubts on how to do it - consult a professional.

Depending on if you are looking at modifying an existing house or starting from scratch, it could alter how you run things. All of my lines are flexible tubing that I ran inside my walls to a main 4 port manifold. From the manifold I went out to my stove, heater, and gas lamp. Total expense was just under $200.

I was told by a professional not to use rubber lines in a wall use only copper. The rubber can dry rot and start leaking.

I had a pro cheak all my lines and fittings after I ran them. It's better to be safe then dead.

I apologize, I should have been more specific. I used flexible stainless steel tubing in my ice house. I have a flange on the outside where I tie in my tanks w/ standard black rubber tubing, otherwise all lines in my house are flexible stainless.

Upon completion I did pressure test the unit for 24 hours to verify there were no leaks.

(neighbor is a plumber and was able to supply me all the necessary tools and guidance)

Thanks -

Stymie

I have always used rubber lines in my fish houses, have never had any problems and are alot easier to install then copper lines.

You should NEVER run any gas lines in your walls! If you get a leak, it could turn into a real hazard.

If you have a gas leak with the lines on the inside of your house, you will smell the gas before it can become the hazard.

I'm with most of them here ...... as the "son of a master plumber" I prefer copper in the walls and have that silver soldered if there are joints in the walls, flare fittings where you can access them. (thats the way it's done in your house)

As for a regulator, I just spent about $50 on an auto switching RV type reg rated for 200k btu. If you try to use something from a BBQ grill they are only rated for 75k btu and are single stage not two stage. You can get a 200kbtu 2 stage for about $25 - $30 without the auto switch where the cheaper BBq reg is under $20.

IMHO it's worth the extra for the better reg, and the auto switch. In our old perm house we used 100# tanks and only had to get out of the warm cozy bunk and go out at 3 am when it was -20 and switch the thanks a few times each season. "BBRRRRRRR!" We are just finishing our new wheel house and will use 30#er's on that so we have an auto switching reg!

What if I only run 1 tank all the time? I dont really remember asking anything about running my lines inside the walls, I was just looking for the easiest way to hook the two appliances together inside the house and also seeing if I should put a shut off valve between the two Thats all.

You can certainly run one tank, we did that for years, it's just you will likely have a spare in case you run out and then manually switch it. I still recommend the 2 stage reg because with your oven and heater at the same time you'll be near enough to 75k btu that the cheaper reg may freeze up or if it's really cold out not get enough flow for both. As you get closer to -44F (boiling point of LP) the rate that it evaporates and therefore pressurizes the system to flow goes down making it more important that you have a good regulator. If you never use it below 0F you won't have many problems. My dad and I were on Mille Lacs many years ago and the temp was -30's and the Wind chill had to be -50's and our reg just froze up. Poor pressure from the tank due to cold, wind, etc and even a good reg froze up.

As for in the walls, no you didn't ask but most do it that way so we assumed that might be a possibility. if it's all always exposed so you can keep an eye on it, then rubber will work. Copper is better but more $$. All just depends on budget and convenience you might want.

You don't need a shut off for each because if you ever disconnect one you'll likely have the tank shut off.