• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Reels...

jdndey

What are your favorites? I am looking at picking up one or two top notch reels after remembering how much I do not like the cheap ones I currently own....

Oh...I am also going to try a Thorne Bros rod...cannot wait for the ice fishing show...

I don't know if mine qualify as top notch for price standards or by much other than pure working reliability. Almost all of my reels are Abu Garcia's 100 series. I have a 300, but for my favorite my sight fishing rod and all my panfish rods carry nothing but the Abu Garcia Cardinal 100U. I simply love it. And will continue to use them till one fails me.

I'm a big fan of the Tica Cetus line of reels. I also like the Shimano AX-ULS for overall weight, price and durability.

I also plan to use some of the new 500 series Shimanos that are coming out...

The Abu Garcia Cardinals are very nice too. Both the 100 and 300 sereis are excellent reels...

I have been running a mix - helps me grab the right poles when I am in a hurry based on the reel!

For walleye - Caridnal 100U

For Perch/Crappies - Tica

For Sunnies - Pflueger

If I had to pick a favorite it would be the ABU Cardinals.

I actually use my Sustains 1000 along with my Stradics 1000 and Sahara 750. My Symetre 750 somehow isn't quirky.

I've been considering going the baitcaster route. Been using a Shimano Coriolis 100E for a past few seasons.

(first thing first, I need gas powered auger)

The SX Series features lightweight carbon-fiber components, SDS™ Drag System, four ABEC I stainless steel ball bearings, and wide spool design for long, smooth, accurate casts. The 240 SX has an aluminum body.

The XL Series boasts the same cutting-edge casting and drag performance properties as the SX Series, but with super-tough components and four stainless steel ball bearings. The 180 XL has an aluminum body.

This is a very sweet reel. I have a few US Reels, 180SX, 230SX, and 240SX and they are amazing casting reels. The 180SX or 180 XL are perfect ice reels in many ways for the light mono panfish crew and the ultra thin braid crew. It has a large dynamiter spool so line memory is lessened and it spools line off flawlessly. A superior drag allows for a wide range of adjustment. Zero roll-back, high functioning bail, a very smooth reel.

The US REEL 180 is a great ice reel. Spooling line off easily is half the battle on an ice reel, and reduced line memory is a huge benefit. Less line digging into the spool. Fast change spools, inner arbor to reduce line capacity if you so wish too..far better drag than most reels...lots of perks in these reels.

The XL is not as high priced as the SX, because the XL is aluminum and the SX is all stainless.

What's the difference between the Tica Cetus SE and the SS and SB? I heard it has a spare aluminum spool. From the pictures I've seen, the SE's look like they have a new handle and body design too.

Another very worthy mention in the ABU Cardinal 702 and 700

A high functioning reel with a killer Stamina drag system that is even handy to use while wearing gloves.

They have a 1 button quick fold handle for easy storage and a longer shaft stem to the real for the Pistol Grip crowd to use.

Quick change spools offers ease of use, and flexibility. Zero roll-back, good bail system spells less line twist problems too.