• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weird growth on fawn?*** updated pictures***

THat's strange looking. COuld be a wound that filled with puss, but that would be mighty large, My guess would be it's some type of genetic birth defect. Try hangin that on your wall.

Ive seen this before. When I was 14 years old I was sitting in a box stand with my grandpa and a doe crawled underneath a barbed wire fence. My grandpa and I were both appawled at the TWO milk jug sized growths between her front legs. My grandpa said he had never seen anything like that in his life. Until now, I didnt think I would ever see this again, or hear about anyone else seeing anything like this. Its weird...

It's an injury that's filled with fluid. It'll eventually pop and drain. Typically, it's from a fence post, stick, or some other foreign object. For a deer, it's the bodies response for walling off an infection. Gross but it'll survive.

I shot a doe one year with my bow and never recovered her. Two weeks later in the same area I saw something just like that. It looked to be the same deer to me. I would assume that its an injury, although i don't know if that is going to kill it or not.

We've actually harvested two deer with growths just like that. They were filled with all sorts of stuff but mostly liquid. There was some semi-solid masses inside as well. Despite their otherwise healthy appearance we elected to remove the deer from the herd in case it was an imparing quality or worse yet some wierd whitetail disease spreadable to others. I'd kill it. Maybe try shooting the growth and spill the ooze. Maybe not. Really though, that is nasty and I would shut it down.

I'm very much against wanton waste or illegal harvest, but this thing needs to be shot and left for the wolves. Maybe you will have an extra tag left and you could register it and leave it lay.

The increase of the size of that growth in that amount of time says it will not make it much longer if it keeps increasing at that rate.

DD

You should send the picks to a biologist at the DNR or U.S. Fish and Game. Maybe they can tell you what it might be. How would we know if its in pain? How do we know if its experiencing discomfort? I would say shoot it and put it out of its/our misery. Who knows you may never see it while out in the field.

I would have to say... I might take her out of the herd. Wolves in your area? I would think this would be one of the first they would make a meal out of. She does not look like she is putting any fat on since your first pictures.

It would be interesting on how she looks in a month or two if no one takes her.

i would use the pictures and send them to all the shows you know off you know the ones you ask a question and if you get picked you get a free muzzleloader or gear.... hey you get your question answered and get free stuff

Well, if that thing doesnt pop soon, its gonna be life threatening, because the deer wont be able to walk soon.

I'm surprised it hasn't broken already. It even looks like some of the fluid has hardened, which would make it even more difficult to drain. I've seen lots of them over the years but never one that large.