• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Was anyone on Pelican near Monticello this weekend? How was it?

Lots of teal and woodies before 9. Not as many ducks flying after 9 as past years. This was the first year that somebody has beaten me to our spot and they shot at way too many birds out of range. We were about 300yds away and most of the birds that they shot at flew away from us. We were off the lake at 11:30 with 2 woodies and 2 teal. Sunday was rainy and there was lightning off to the east. Loud thunder and lightning approaching forced us off by 9am. We were hit by a down pour at the landing. We never fired a shot on Sunday. The lake was down about a foot and the landing was not as crowded as it has been it the past. I will be going back on Wednesday.

We also could not get to our "Spot", The crowd was way down from last year but the shooting was on par. You would think with the price of shells that people would learn to let the ducks get closer after 2-3 boxes burned, but I guess not. 1 woodie, 1 teal Sat. none on Sunday. Only fired 4 shots total.Not a lot of ducks and only seen 4 honkers a mile up.

I had some buddies that went out there on friday and camped til the opener on saturday. They claim they shot 7 mallards?? I think they are just telling me that to make it look like it was worth the wait. He said when they left saturday that there had to have been at least 70 trucks/trailers at the landing? These guys hunted off the island, were they sky busting, if so I will have to give them some [PoorWordUsage]?