• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Bearings

Jim Uran

Question

HOw hard is it to replace the bearings on a trailer? I had a bit of down luck this weekend. I got to the lake and my tire pretty much fell off!!!!!!!!! The hole hub and everything fell off, just wondering how hard of a fix it is? The tire and axle seem ok?

THE races were still on the axle, (still are too)

If the inner races are stuck on the axle that is very bad!!!!

I have had very good luck making a diagonal cut across the race until almost all the way through. Then I use a chisel to split the race the rest of the way. You should be able to get it off with a punch and hammer after it is split. If it doesn't move after it is split you will need to replace the spindle/axle.

The bearing failure probably had more to due with the lack of maintenance than the fireline! If its a boat trailer repack in the fall after the last trip. You get all the moister out before its put away and its ready to go in the spring!

Don't forget to replace the grease seal. You gently tap it into place after you have the inner race and bearing at the rear of the hub.

You also may want to consider putting on some bearing buddies on both sides. The store you bought the replacement hub at should have them. They help keep things squared away. Be sure to follow the directions that come with them if you chose to put them on.

Bearing buddies are not necessary and are miss used more often than used correctly! Nothing takes the place of yearly, or at least every other year, inspection and or repacking the bearings. Not even a bearing buddie. In fact I see more failures on the trailers with buddies than without because, again, people don't understand there purpose!!

I see more failures on the trailers with buddies than without

That's intersting Airjer... from my experience about 85% of the boats (with trailers) that were traded in that didn't have bearing buddies on them needed to be rebuilt - bearings and races.

Maybe 10% at the most of trailers traded in that had bearing buddies needed to be gone through again.

marine_man

I will have to agree with air. Nothing is better than repacking every year. Bearing buddies do help thru the season of use, but to many people think that they can just keep squirting in grease and that is all that need to ever be done.

Well I ended up doing both sides. What the heck, why not. I appreciate the help fellas and believe me, it's a lesson I have taken seriously. I didn't realize how easy it is to just take everything apart and regrease.