• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Bearings

Jim Uran

Question

HOw hard is it to replace the bearings on a trailer? I had a bit of down luck this weekend. I got to the lake and my tire pretty much fell off!!!!!!!!! The hole hub and everything fell off, just wondering how hard of a fix it is? The tire and axle seem ok?

If the inner races of the bearings are not welded to the axle, than its as easy as buying a kit that will come with the correct size inner and outer bearing, hub, axle seal, washer, nut, and cotter pin. These are often pregreased but if not you will need to pack the bearings. Install onto axle, install washer, tighten axle nut until its snug (tight is bad), and insert cotter pin.

Its that easy!

check the wheel bearing repacking thread on the top of the page for pictures and more details. You will be doing the same thing except with new bearings!

Thinking about my dumb question I looked up and seen how to repack the bearings on a different thread.. BUT, this isn't my problem I guess. The hole hub and everything fell off, the spindle nut was tight on there w/ the pin in it.

NOW WHAT!!!!

Am I in need of a new hub? Are they hard to install??

Do you have a Northern Tool near you? If so you just walk in a buy a whole new hub assy. When you do the whole hub, it's as easy and putting it on the spindle and putting lock nut on. 10 minute job.

I guess you could order it online as well if you have a few days.

They are fairly inexpensive and usually come pregreased. In fact when I bought my last boat/trailer, I just bought the whole assy instead of repacking my old ones. Now I have a spare and I didn't have to repack.

Just rereading you post.

The nut is still on the spindle? Did the axle break. I think the spindle is part of the axle. If the hub broke off and the axle/spindle is in good shape, yeah the just buy the hub assy like I said above.

Major bearing and hub failure?

Main thing is to make sure the shaft (spindle) coming out from the axle is ok and attached still. If you can put some picutres, that would be great also.

What kind of trailer is it and what year?

When you say you got to the lake, it could mean any kind of trailer, utility, boat or other. Lake might mean cabin???

That's what I'm wondering. How in the world did the whole hub and wheel come off, with the nut and pin still in?

Thats usually how I see them! grin Fortuneately for the customers I have had good luck getting the inner races off whitout destroying the axles and/or having the axles in good shape once the races are off.

The hub is this part

Idler%20Hub%20for%20Trailer.jpg

The spindle is this part

20041101_AUTO_CARE_page002img005.jpg

The spindle can be part of the axle or seperate from the axle but should always be attatched to the trailer!!

yeah it was pretty crazy looking, it is on my boat trailer, unfortunately I have no idea what year the trailer is as it is a homemade jobby. How could I be sure I'm ordering the right size hub assembly??? No Northern tool near me, I have some fleet supply stores within 45 miles of me, other than that i have no idea who would carry one!!

You'll order a hub with the same bolt pattern as the wheel (4 or five bolt) and has the same bearing size. Bearings are measured by there inside diameter or the outside diameter of the spindle. Common sizes are 1", 1 1/16", 1 1/4", and 1 3/8". The bearings can be the same size for the inner and outer or the inner can be bigger than the outer. For my trailer I get a five bolt with 1" bearings (inner and outer).

You can get them from Northern Tool (shipping included) from approx $35-45 (depending on size).

Being that they are pregreased, that is a pretty good deal/time saver.

yeah I just stopped by a well known auto parts store and they had them. WEll they had the 1" hub assembly, the bearing set came seperate? does that sound right. WEll this is all assuming i have a 1" shaft I'll have to have someone measure it for me. The Hub Assembly had the 2 racers in it, the set had a couple extra racers, the inner and outer bearings and a seal. So now I have to go make sure I have the right sized spindle. What a pain!!!!!!!!

Ya I like the pre-loaded hub assembly option Dtro brought up. Most times if you can pick one up at the Norhtern Tool or Fleet Farm, the whole pre-loaded hub almost cost's the same as the bearing only replace kit.

leechbait, might be a pain, but a whole lot better than having the trailer and boat flip at hwy speeds and take out another car and destroy your boat wink.

Now, that would be a pain.

Always a bright side grin If you look for it smile.

See what??????

Sorry dude! I missed that grin

I thought your post ment a nice spread of parts on a bench.

I like the pre-loaded hub Jer brought up grin.

I must have seen Northern Tool in Dtro's post and got all googled eyed grin

To get back to the original reason for the post - sorry but I get the feeling LeechBait isn't on track yet. You ought to be able to take the pieces that fell off and a decent parts store ought to be able to set you up with what you need.

To the Pro's - if he had this sort of failure isn't he looking at replacing both the bearings and the races at a minimum? Does anyone want to give him the tips on replacing the inner and outer races, as well as the seal?

Leech, it may be a pain but you really don't have a choice. Lesson learned is to do preventative maintenance like check the grease on the trailer at the begining of each season. You've probably shot 3+ hours dealing with this problem so far and it could have been avoided with an hours effort back in April.

To the Pro's - if he had this sort of failure isn't he looking at replacing both the bearings and the races at a minimum? Does anyone want to give him the tips on replacing the inner and outer races, as well as the seal?

If the hub came off the axle than the hub is more than likely shot. Usually the inner bearing is the one that fails. If it did it ground up the hub, particularly the spot the seal will sit in. With the new hub kit/assembly the races are already installed, the bearings are typically packed, the inner bearing is in place and the grease seal is installed. All this for not that much more than a bearing kit.

If he had posted that he went to repack the bearings and noticed they where pitted than I wouldn't have a problem explaining a bearing kit and how to install.

Yeah definitely check the other side, it seems good. I had a bunch of that super silly fireline wrapped around my other one. I believe that's what ultimately caused its demise. I have found out what size the spindle is and found the hub and a kit to repack the bearings and all that good stuff. THE races were still on the axle, (still are too) I have to get at that tonight after work. Hopefully I can get it fixed because the fishing is heating up. Thanks fellas I'll keep you posted and poke a question or two if needed.

The races are still on the axle? I think those are parts of the bearings that are stuck on the axle..

I've had this happen once. I neglected my old duck boat trailer bearings one year....water got in, rust, you name it..friction/heat built up and literally welded the bearings to the spindle (axle). All toast. I replaced the spindles, had them welded onto the axle, and purchased a new hub, bearings, etc..