• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Cough?

I finally got out bowhunting again on Friday night. About 6:15, I heard what I thought was the farmer coughing.(I hunt right next to his back driveway). I looked back expecting him to come walking down the road. What I saw, however, was a big doe about 40 yards away. Then I heard the cough again, close and I looked at the doe and she didn't even flinch. Soon after, another doe that was only about 20 yards away, behind a deadfall walks out and right thru my shooting lane. I drew on her and decided I wanted to wait. 5 minutes later, the first doe I saw walks into my shooting lane and I drew on her as well only to let up once I was confident I "could've taken her". My question is has anyone else ever heard this? I have been bowhunting for 20 years and have never heard this before. I have heard the snort-wheeze, grunting, etc, but never a cough and that is the best way to describe it.

DL

I have heard it a few ( very few) times, But it was just after the sneeze or nasel blow. Like as in Something is here but what, clear nose, then cough to clear throat to taste the wind/air. ground. If you would have seen this from start you may have noticed it also licking the air prior to the cough.

I have heard something similar, a doe did some kind of grunt/cough. It really surprised the heck out of me. There was another doe and 3 fawn with her and they didn't even flinch when she made the noise.