• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris explorer

dairyman

I have a 1995 polaris 400 explorer that I'm having trouble putting in reverse. Some times it works fine in reverse other times I have to use the over-ride button to use reverse and sometimes it doesn't work in either mode. I'm getting tired of pushing it backward to put it in my shed. I know I should take it to the shop -----but the age old problem---$$$$$$$$$. Is it a do-it-yourself fix or just give it up and take it in

thanks

On that model there are shift linkages (rods) that run from the shift box that the shift lever is attatched to back to the transmission after a period of time the rod ends can get a little sloppy or sometimes the nuts on them can even come loose, at any rate they can work themselves out of adjustment. You may have to adjust the linkage to take out any slop in them. If they are sloppy you may not be getting the full "throw" and it might make the difference between shifting it into reverse fully. Incidentally, the reverse overide button shouldn't have anything to do with getting it in to reverse or not. The overide button, bypasses the rev limiter in reverse and also controls the 4x4 in reverse. If you don't push the reverse overide button it will not engage the 4 wheel drive in reverse. Hope this helps. Hollar back if you don't find the problem and we'll try again!