Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

Barking Dogs

23 posts in this topic

Question...When you let your "best friend" out in the morning, do you wait for him to do his business or go back in and continue getting ready? I have a neighbor that goes in and waits until the dogs are in a constant bark (6:00am) and then reluctantly lets them in. I know when I had my lab I felt very bad when he would bark that early in the morning or night. Are these people just clueless or rude???

Ususally put them out and get lunches ready. If I hear one bark they come right in. Usually not out more than 10 minutes that early though. I think it's rude to let your dog outside barking at any time of the day, muchless early in the morning or late at night when others are sleeping.

My neighbor lets her dogs out at 3 in the morning because she says they cant make it through the night. Honestly? A 1 and 2 year old dog cant make it through the night without going to the bathroom? The motion light they set off is probably worse than their barking, i can tune barking out, but the light that keeps coming in the window is a different story.

Not sure whether your neighbor is clueless or rude but i know mine is just plain stupid.

We had the same in our old neighborhood.

Ask them politely if they can keep their dogs from barking early in the morning. If that doesn't help, get up in your bathrobe & knock on their door/call them while it's happening to ask again.

As a last resort, see if it's bothering other neighbors. The city will talk to the person if they get multiple complaints about a dog.

Most cities have well document dog ordinances. Excessive barking is usually prohibited even more so if it is very early or very late.

Ask the neighbor to be a little more courteous and maybe even direct them to the information.

If for some reason you don't like confrontation you can let the passive aggressive Minnesotan in you take over and simply slip the dog ordinance laws into their mail box when they are at work. Hopefully that will work.

My neighbor has a taco bell dog and it runs loose all day. Barking all day at a high pitch, stopping traffic as it strolls down the middle of the road. They let it out and leave for the day, no fence, not tied at all. Im sure its against the law but no one has called the cops yet. Im just waiting for it to get run over so I can laugh at them when they are sad. I've warned them lots of times, they dont care.

My neighbor has a taco bell dog and it runs loose all day. Barking all day at a high pitch, stopping traffic as it strolls down the middle of the road. They let it out and leave for the day, no fence, not tied at all. Im sure its against the law but no one has called the cops yet. Im just waiting for it to get run over so I can laugh at them when they are sad. I've warned them lots of times, they dont care.

That's cold, I don't care how annoyed you are. I don't want to see a dog hurt or a family having to deal with a dead dog. They are ignorant to let it run loose, but I wouldn't wish them harm.

I think its time to call Animal Control. Maybe if they have to go bail the dog out of im"poud" they will learn that they can't leave it out like that. You might anger the neighbors but you'll save the dogs life. I'm sure there are others that would love to adopt the dog if they don't want it any more.

Are these people just clueless or rude???

Possibly both.

It isn't dogs barking but my neighbor's son's girlfriend used to pull in the drive way, leave the car running with the stereo cranked at odd hours. I would walk out and turn the stereo off. I did this several times. One night our paths crossed as I had just turned the stereo down and she was walking out to the car. I had enough at that point so I told her the next time I walked out there to turn the stereo down I was going to shut the car off, throw the keys in the front yard and she could go when she found the keys.

No more loud stereo left on. grin

We have a neighbor that has a Big Airdale and at times she has let the dog out at 5 am or earlier and probably went back bed. Freakin dog would bark for over an hour. One guy called her multiple times and I think finally called the cops and filed a few complaints. I was getting close myself. And it doesn't help that she is about the most unfriendly person you can imagine. I have said hi and waved and she doesn't even acknowledge. Needless to say she is not winning any popularity contest around here.

Our neighbors dogs barked all the time...mainly at our dog that didn't bark. A few calls, and the barks got less...but did not stop. Thankfully, they moved.

Another neighbor lets their dog out and he runs into our yard and "does his business". I put a note in their mailbox stating that I had a varmit problem and will be "poisening and setting traps". Now, they watch their dog when they let him out.

Here I thought you were refering to the political posts here??

Boy their barkin at eachother latly!

Here I thought you were refering to the political posts here??

Boy their barkin at eachother latly!

But are they clueless, or just rude?

In our old neighborhood in west st. paul, our "interesting" neighbors used to let their dogs out late at night and early in the morning and the dogs would just bark, constantly. We called the cops, all the neighbors called the cops, the cops stopped and talked with the neighbors and it kept going.....The neighbors wife was out there, to the fact that she would make false reports to the cops of terroristic threats from neighbors who disagreed with her or asked her to shut her dogs up. It made for interesting times that is for sure. I hated her dogs, but actually it was her that I hated, it wasn't the dogs fault.

now in our new neighborhood, we have free ranging dogs that don't bark, ever, but feel it is necessary to doodie in our yard. I have yelled at one dog enough, it stays out of our yard, but the other neighbor's dog bombs our yard all the time. Last winter it bombed our driveway all winter long.

It's like my dad said, it's not the dog's fault, it is the owner's fault.......

Makes you wonder what a dog license is for anyway, I needed to take a test for my driver's license

I used to have 2 dogs, sadly now I only have 1.

Bark collars and decent training are wonderful things. I honestly don't mind if another dog drops a deuce in my yard. In the grand scheme of things a few more piles don't really matter.

Barking dogs on the other hand are a very large annoyance to me. As stated earlier, there are no bad dogs just bad dog owners. Fish gotta swim, bird gotta fly, wife gotta nag, and dog gotta bark. However, the dog can be trained not to bark.

Best thing to do is honestly tell the dog owner that their barking dog is a rather large annoyance and can they please do something to shut it up. If that doesn't work, depending on your community, a call to the law may be in order. Where I live there really isn't any law and I will not post on what we do here to maintain our sanity when it comes to barking neighborhood dogs.

...wife gotta nag, and dog gotta bark. However, the dog can be trained not to bark.

If what you say about training the dog not to bark is true anyway there is a program on training the wife not to nag laughgrin

Fish gotta swim, bird gotta fly, wife gotta nag, and dog gotta bark. However, the dog can be trained not to bark.
HILARIOUS! LOL

If the neighbors arent aware of it, it's ignorance.

If you've brought it up to them a couple of times, it's laziness and negligence.

I'd ask for their help a couple of times (I cant get any sleep!), then start calling the cops. You just have to pick your words carefully, no sense having bad blood w/ neighbors if you can avoid it.

Our neighbors dogs barked for hours on end, due to pure laziness. A few calls to police seemed to put an end to it.

We have a neighbor that has some kind of small dog and I swear that thing can bark at the top of it's lungs from morning to night! Can't a dog get hoarse, just like a person?

She used to let that little chit out in the morning and go to work? Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and a couple of the neighbors mentioned it also.

I went over there when I thought her, or her husband might be home, but neither one of them answered the door...the vehicles were there? That little noisy mutt was there? Maybe they were put off by my blood red eyes, the smoke comming out of my ears and the fire comming out of my nostrils?

I went back home and wrote them a note and went and put it in their mail slot. In short, it was, "We have all had it with the dog barking, next time I will be calling the city!" It worked! The dog barks once in awhile, but hey, like someone else mentioned, it's a dog! No big deal. Peace at last!

How about this one....One of our neighbors has a little rat looking curly haired terrior, that I swear they trained to go do it's thing in other peoples yards! They let it out and it beelines out of the yard to one of the neighbors (Us being one of the neighbors) takes a dump and books back home!

On top of that the dog has gotten deaf as it has gotten older, either that, or it just plain ignores people when they yell at it, cause it takes it's time, takes a dump and goes back home

and they let it in.

Good thing they feed it cheap dry dog food, them squats are dryer then an old mans scalp! At least they aren't messy to pick up.

My girl goes out at 6 when I get up. First thing I do is make lunch and she usually is done with her business. On days <40 degrees she does it in record time. I can't even get my sandwich done and she's on the steps. Never had barking problems but if she did I would be more attentive. Gotta be a good neighbor to have the favor returned.

Our bassett hound likes to bark, but if he barks outside I think it is just common courtesy to get him back in. Of course then he drives me nuts in the house with barking, but that's a story for another day.....

As far as getting presents from the neighbor dog on your lawn, my boss had to take the direct approach: his neighbors did not "believe in chains for dogs" so they let him slice one off where ever he pleased. After a few times talking to them, the boss started quietly picking up the mess with a shovel and depositing it right on the front steps of their brand new house. Somehow their beliefs changed and Fifi got a tie-out chain.

DD

I was going to suggest just throwing the nuggets back into their yard but the front step should defintely get the point across better with quicker results.

Hasn't someone shot that barking dog with the Red Ryder yet?

Works for me.