• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Burger

GRH

I don't add anything either. Coarse ground once through the grinder, make into patties, and maybe some seasoning as I'm frying 'em up.

The way I like it is straight ground venison with some beef fat ground into it. No beef just some beef fat. This way you get the venison flavor and the fat adds some moisture as lean (I remove ALL fat) venison van be a bit dry.

I grind two different batches, one just plain venison for chili, pasta sauce, etc. The other I add beef suet or just beef fat, as mentioned above it gives a little moisture without adding beef taste and works better for grilling burgers.

When we grind venison, we make some plain...some with bacon (the best for frying and grilling), and some with bacon, hot peppers, potatoes, cheese, etc (all ground together).

There is a lot of great combos!!

Bacon works great for venison burgers on the grill.

2 lbs ground venison

1 lb bacon (i use peppered)

1 pack of Lipton onion soup mix

run everything through the grinder. I use a patty press and make a bunch for freezing.

I sometimes add bacon (my favorite, about 20%) other times beef fat (10%). Like Dietz said, if I need to stretch it I will add some chuck to the mix.

Used to use pork but it doesn't seem to freeze as well.

Straight venison. I've never shot a big rutty buck and that might be the reason why wife, daughter and I have always found it delicious as burgers, meatloaf, spaghetti, whatever. 2 does have gone that route this year already.

I trim mine as lean as possibe. Then buy some fatty pork scrap,or fatback, trim it up a bit so it is mostly fatty meat and not a lot of the "other stuff". Then grind it about 80/20. My father likes his at 70/30.

Meaning if I have 2 deer and get about 40 lbs of scrap out of of each. I will have almost 100lbs of total grind after adding my pork. The 80/20 will make burger that is better than 90% lean.

I do soak my srap for a couple of days in the fridge or an ice bath, changing water a time or two, to pull as much blood as possible from the meat. Then grind twice. First with the coarse chop, then mix and grind again with the medium blades. And have NEVER had a complaint about my ground.

Originally Posted By: KEN W
My wife and kids won't touch it unles it is 50-50 with beef.

Mine were the same way, I just stopped telling them it was venison, they never knew!

taste buds must be off if they can't tell the diff between deer and cow grin