• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog has red eyes??

mascad

I have a 3 year old chocolate lab whose eyes are almost all red. I first noticed it Saturday evening. We hunted Saturday morning, I don't know if he has a cold or what. He also has had a lot of fluid coming out of his eye. Anyone know what this may be? Thanks.

It's conjunctivits. Commonly known in human kids as pink eye. Try to gently clean seeds & gunk out under the eye lids and rinse with saline. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better in a few days then a vet appt to get meds is in order.

Sounds like he might be getting dust and debris his eyes. I've just started hunting my lab pup, but my vet, (who has bred labs for 20 years, hunts, and does the field trial/hunt test thing) suggested that when I get him out, and the end of each day, flush his eyes out with contact saline solution. I bought some and tried it out at home to see how much he'd protest but he didn't even bat an eyelash...literally.

I've used saline solution in the past to flush my dog's eyes. In a pinch you can blow in their eyes to get them to generate tears also. Not sure that they enjoy it at all, but if there is debris & you don't have anything else I know it works.