• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to properly preserve a duck for mounting

Its alright to wash the blood off. I had a Pintail a couple years ago that I completely washed and dried before it went into a bag.

What I like to use are bread bags, they are about the perfect size for a duck. I carefully tuck the head back and slide the bird into the bag. Once in the bag, I carefully wrap masking tape around the bag in a few areas to hold things tight. Then I put it in another bag and into the freezer it goes.

I'm not sure getting it to the taxidermy guy ASAP is important. The bird will sit in his freezer for 3-6 months or more before he gets to it anyway. But the faster you get it there, the sooner you should expect it to be turned around.

Another important point, under no circumstance should newspaper be included in the wrapping and storage process. Newspaper will suck the water/moisture out of the bird and dry it out. Not good.

I was told by my taxi to put it into a nylon. 2 reasons: It wicks moisture and it holds the form of the bird perfect.

Oh, I almost forgot number 3. Those back seamed, black, hold up stockings make my duck look super sexy....

Putting your future mount into a nylon stocking (panty hose), is a great way to keep feathers in their natural position, all the while being compressed to the bird. Use cold water to remove blood from white/light colored feathers-helps prevent permanent staining from your prospective mount.

I was just reading a back issue of the DU magazine and they had an article on this exact topic. They said NOT to put it in a nylon. They explained to put it in several plastic bags to hold in the moisture.

Yes you should also use a plastic bag to put the bird in after you place it in a nylon, or not. As far as different methods to freeze a bird until you can get it to a taxidermist, there are many. The method I was told is the best came from Tom Matuska at Northwest Iowa School of Taxidermy, where I attended in Spring of 2005. To each his own I guess.

I forgot all about my AWESOME Pintail from last year. I shot it the day after Thanksgiving and it's been in the freezer ever since. IS IT TOO LATE?

The reason I forgot was because I had to wrestle the wife just to mount this huge 8 point buck so the duck mount was set on the far back burner.

They say 1 yr. in the freezer is a good general rule of thumb. Had a buddy bring in a ruffie (much more delicate skin) after two years in the freezer and the taxidermist didn't like it, but said it wasn't bad because of good wrapping.

I've always read and heard that you should wrap the head and neck in wet paper towel, and tuck it under the wing. Then wrap entirely in plastic bags, sealed well. Never use newspaper, as it bleeds.

WRap there feet in a wet paper towel this will help prevent freeze drying.If there is blood from the bill gebtly open ther mouth and insert a cotton ball this will catch any blood that may secreet during the freezing process.

gentley tuck there head under there wing & double wrap them in a non porous bag such as a bread bag or large zipper bags if there small. a wal-mart bag or grocery bag is an example of a poruos type.

store them in a deep freezer below 0 degrees

do not store them in a un heated garage or out side during the winter.

if they are not below zero they will still slowly be able to decompose .

so the colder the better!!