• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with finding the right Prop

chillincarp870

Im no expert but here is my experience.

I run a Ranger 620 with a 225 evinrude Etec. I bought it new in 2005. The dealer propped it with a 4 blade 23 pitch prop. I ran, ignorantly, in bliss until this year. I was running at under 5000 rpms wide open and around 52 mph. Happy. Until I bought a new prop, due to a few dings in the old one. Upon researching it I switched to a three blade 22 pitch prop. I am now running 5600 rpms and 60 mph. No noticeable difference in hole shot. Now I am kicking myself four a few years of underperformance.

My suggestion is find someone who runs a similar rig as yours. Ask them what they run to start. Also find out what your motor's rpm operating range is at wide open throttle, found in your owners manual or manufacturers HSOforum online. This will help you find the right prop. You may have to try a few to get it right unless you ask someone who knows the rig you run. The guy I find was on a different site and ran the same exact rig I run.

As for the specifics as to pitch and diameter. The web has some great stuff to get you talking the same language as the prop experts.

Some prop dealers will let you try/return a prop if it is not dinged in anyway.

Carpkillr,

Start by posting specifics about your boat and motor combo. Someone here may be running the same rig or already found the right prop.

Next go to a marine shop that has demo props. I found one in White Bear Lake and gave a credit card number for collateral and hauled one up to Lake Vermilion over the weekend. It was painted Blue. This is a very good way to go. I need to return it this week.

After trying out a LaserII 19" pitch on Mr Pike 17 w/115 Yamaha I was impressed. I had a stock Aluminum 19" pitch ran 5800 rpm and around 41/42 mph. Solo w/ a full tank I ran 46 mph at 5200 rpm. I think this is the right pitch prop for my boat. My motor is mounted in the bottom hole right now. I will try it out next time out with my old prop again.

I noticed quite a bit better hadleing. I will not buy a stainless prop now until I have tried it on my boat.

The rest of the guy's here have a lot of good info and they were spot on with most of it.

Thank You everyone that has posted help in these forums grin

Steve

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but a general rule of thumb is you raise the pitch to lower the RPMs.

Lowering the pitch will raise the rpms.

250rpms per full pitch size changes is what I've been told.