• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power auger price?

mrpike1973

hi i had a post about what size handauger to get everyone said to get a power one no matter what i could maybe get one by the end of the season. how much would the cheapest 8 inch auger cost new i dont care what brand etc. a lot of people said to by used unfortunately any thing i buy with a moter on it always costs me double it never works sorry to be negitive but thats the way it works for me i have tried to find prices on line but having difficulty thanks just want a ball park figure are they over $500 bucks

mrpike1973, For a new auger, say a Strikemaster, you can figure anywhere from $350.00 to $530.00, That's as per Cabelas online. It occured to me that Strikemaster might have some factory refurbished units for $$ less. They're located in the twin cities and could be worth a phone call. It you want to look at some other units, just do a Google with the names that have been mentioned and see what they have to offer. Phred52

I am waiting for the Gander in Blaine or Forest Lake to get in their shipment of 8" Strikemaster Mag 2000's. They will have them for 299 they say and they have a few 10"ers right now at the one in Blaine for 319. My dad has a bunch of 25 dollar off coupons so I can then get a 8" for around 220.

299 for a new strikemaster is about as good as it gets unless you wait until the end of the season.

Ryan

I'd also recommend the "Demo" models at D-Rock in New Brighton. I picked up a Lazer224 1.5 seasons ago there and it has been a great auger. Like Sandmannd said, there is very little cut time on the powerhead...(how I looked at it, the break in was done, and all tweaks were done to make it run at peak performance) They'll even fire the unit's up for you to listen to them before you pull the trigger....and best part of all of this, the units still come with the full manufacture warranty.

Worth a call...a great way to save some serious coin and if you do have issues, D-Rock will take care of you.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out a hand auger. It all depends on your style of fishing and when you ice fish. Also what type of fish you're hunting.

I made due with a 7" hand auger for many years. Lazer hand augers are a very nice auger. You can get one of those for well under $100.

I wouldn't break the bank on a "cheaper" auger just to get one.

If you're set on getting the power auger this year I would definitely check out the refurbed and lightly used ones. FInd ones with a warranty.

If you're in southern MN, we carry the reconditioned Strikemasters. We carry the 8" Lazer Mag Express, 8" Mag 2000 and the 8" Electra Lazer . The prices can't be beat. You don't have to wait until the end of the season to get a great deal.

You get a new bit, blades and cover. The power head is completely gone through. Some have never been run. We have sold hundreds of these over the last several years.

Give us a call and we'll quote you a price.

Joe

I'll put a third vote for D-Rock. They are also a certified Strikemaster Service Center so if you ever have a problem they can get it squared away.

From what I understand most of the augers were used for drilling holes at some tournaments. All the power heads say Mag2000, no biggy since the heads for the 2000, 224, lazer are all the same anyways. You can take your choice of the various bits they have in stock.

I have an Eskimo and i am satisfied with it. It may not be the fastest or the lightest, but it sure beats drilling by hand. I was looking at and thinking about getting a strikemaster, but got a really good deal on the Eskimo at the swap meat in duluth a couple years ago. If you look in the BWCA forum, stcatfish has just offered up his 10" strikemaster for a great price.

DRock will take good care of you. How are you planning to use your new auger? I mean; will you be drilling only new holes, or redrilling old holes as you would in a perm. house? If you are only drilling new, ask them how much more it would cost to get a 2-blade shaver style (LazerMag) auger with the same powerhead. You will not be disappointed. I have both and hate using my chipper style, but it's the better option for redrilling old holes.

hi thanks for all the help i called d rock im picking up my new mag 2000 power auger on fri for a great price put in 3 days overtime but it should be worth it thanks for all youre advice and opinions

Congrats. They are great to deal with and you won't be disapointed with that unit. Listen to what McGurk said. Good points.