• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

115 Johnson exhaust

JohnMickish

I have a 115 Johnson Faststrike that seems to have had a change in exhaust flow. Now when it's idling there dosen't seem to be much exhaust that comes out of the prop (but there is some) and more than usual comes out the ports on the back of the motor. I think there has been a change of sound but no change in performance. I don't know if it's related or not but I had the lower unit resealed this year and a new prop put on at the same time. Is there any whay that the exhaust port inside the lower unit could be blocked with something? I shined a flashlight in there and can't see anything wrong.

If the prop or exhaust housing were plugged, I think you notice a big difference in performance. The holes at the back of the motor are indeed called idle relief ports, and may just be doing that. I'm just wondering if you are noticing it more now because it is getting colder out and the oil isn't burning all the way out. If you are comfortable doing it yourself, you could pull the lower off and have a look, just to be sure.

I noticed it while up on URL after doing a day of trolling. I really don't think that anything is plugged but I just found it weird that all of a sudden the two ports show oil residue and have never done that before. Thanks for the help.