Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

panfish rods?

12 posts in this topic

What is your guys favorite panfish rods? I need to add a couple new ones since my others are getting in rough shape. I like the noodle rods for sight fishing but i would like something with a little more back bone for fighting the fish after setting the hook. any suggestions? also how about for a bobber rod?

I suggest giving Jason Mitchell a try.

The perch rod and the spring bobber rods are big hits. I recently picked up a couple of them and they are nice. I have a couple of his walleye rods and they are top notch. A real big hit for me is that they are affordable.

What they said! JM are great rods and with a decent price!

Here's what I plan to use this upcoming winter...

Thorne Bros 21-inch Finesse Plus with a Shimano AX-ULS and 3-pound P-Line

I like this set-up because of it's versatility for finesse fishing. The standard Finesse Plus comes in at 19-inches, which is a good length, but I like that extra 2 inches to help with deeper water situations and room for error. A great bluegill and finesse crappie set-up.

Thorne Bros 36-inch Panfish Sweetheart with a Tica Cetus SS500 and 3-pound P-Line

This rod is my work horse. 2-inch Power Minnows, 2-inch Mister Minos, Power Tubes, Size 4 Ratsos... this is my run and gun weapon. The 32-inch series is great, but the new addition of the 36-inch series is the way to go!

Thorne Bros Power Noodle and a Shimano AX-ULS with 2-pound P-Line

This is a great set-up when looking to bypass a spring bobber when looking for those light biting fish that like to barely grab the bait. A great rod for detecting the "up-bite." Was one of my go-to rods last winter.

Thorne Bros 19-inch Finesse Plus with a spring bobber and a Shimano AX-ULS with 2-pound test P-Line

This is my finesse baby. It allows me to have the most control over my presentation, yet I don't throw out a solid hookset with a quick tip. I can stay over the hole and really incorporate the action I want.

Thorne Bros 28-inch Panfish Sweetheart with a Tica Cetus LF500 and 3-pound P-Line

This is another versatile work horse rod. The 28-inch Panfish Sweetheart is great for both shallow and deep situations. Great for running and running too.

There are a lot of rod/reel choices out there. Several of which work for a variety of situations and presentations.

By Far my fave rod is one I made myself. I bought all the parts at Thorne Brothers. It really wasn't all that hard, and I get a ton of satisfaction catching fish on it. Actually I made 2. My second fave is a Panfish sweatheart by thornes. Jason Mitche are supposed to be pretty nice I have a walleye rod by him and its pretty nice. I am excited to see the new rods by Nature Vision, I believe they are going to be called Rip City.. the picts I have seen have me excited.

I still like the st. croix light action spring bobber rod in the old style but the new style isn't bad the handle just bugs me. If you can get them to arrive in one piece and have all the guides aligned consider yourself blessed. grin

Are you looking for a good or great rod? Both Jason Mitchel and Thor Bros are sponsors of this site and one makes a good rod for the money and one makes the best rod for the money. I personally have 4 Thorne Bros (one walleye sweetheart, 2 perch sweethearts and one sweetthing) rods, one JM meatstick and a few other mid range rods. I personally wouldn't give up my TB rods for a truckload of any other rods.

I have been more than happy with my Mitchell rods and for the money, for me, they cannot be beat.

Thorne Bros do make a very nice rod too.

Only used 1/2 season so far, but I have been very happy with my St. Croix Legend spring bobber rod for panfish. It is the rod I use when they are biting very light.

Do yourself better than a spring bobber wich can freeze and get yourself a power noodle. I'm sure it would outfish any spring bobber.

Lots of nice rods out there. For the price my new fav is Jason Mitchels meat stick. Super light tip but backbone to get in bigger perch, crappies. Even brang in some nice eyes and pike on mine. Take care of the tip and you will love the rod. I suggest a good hard sided rod case or at least put it in a plastic tube and then in your case.