• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swim baits for pike

ssaamm

I was out this weekend throwing a 5 1/2 Mann's swimbait for whatever wanted to bite. I got bit off a couple of times and did catch a couple of pike. I had a few hits, and had a tough time setting the hook hard enough. I think I have 30lb braid on the rod I was using. I finally did set the hook well enough and jerked a little one right out of the water. I need a leader obvioulsy, but any other pointers would be apprecitated. You can sure cast them a long ways which is kind of fun. Thanks for the info. Sam

I am an avid reader of IN-Fisherman and Stange has been promoting these lures for a long time. He recommends using either Berkley Saltwater Swimbaits (5"), Lunker City Shakers (4.5"), or Big Hammer Swimbaits (5"). He couples this with an Owner Jig Head in either 3/4 or 1/2 oz. with their large hooks to increase hook setting ability. He also recommends adding an overhead spinner on a smaller jighead with the swim bait threaded "flat" on the hook.

Frankly, either I am doing it all wrong, or I just need to work at it longer. For all his hype, I thought, my gosh, what have I been missing? This lure combination has not given me the "big bite" as compared to a spinnerbait, or a crankbait as he said it would. I think I am choosing my colors wisely, and I am presenting it correctly, and the darn lure sure looks like it would work....but so far, it has not been promising.

They definitely work for big fish. But rather than the paddletail style baits (like the Berkley Swim Shad), you might want to try some of the super realistic swimbaits. The photos below are of a 43-pound pike taken in Germany just a few weeks ago-- on a Castaic HardHead swimbait.

IMGP2073.jpg

IMGP2080.jpg

swimbaits should work well for pike, it may not have been a hook setting issue but just real small aggresive pike not inhaling it all the way? and wow! I would love to catch a northern like pictured above some day