• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on boat winterizing

timjones

Last fall I had a boat winterized and shrink wrapped and stored. It has a Yamaha 115 on it. This spring it was unwrapped and started to make sure it ran ok. I picked it up and parked it next to the garage with a boat cover on it. Due to certain circumstances this boat was never put in the water this year. Do I need to have it winterized again before I store it for the winter or will it be ok? I am a little concerned about the old gas going bad by next spring. Should I have the tank drained?

The winterizing is fine still. The gas should at least have some stabilizer put in it. How much gas is in it. If its only 1/2 way full or less I would think filling it up and then the stabilizer and then run on some muffs for a while should be ok.

Ya fill it up and ad some stabil and then take it for a run for a half hour or if you cant hook it up to some muffs and run it in the driveway. Let all the water drain out of the motor in down position and you should be ok.

I have my first boat with a built in gas tank. Normally with my old boat I always tried to run the gas from a 6 gallon tank almost dry then take the rest and put it in my car etc..

so with the on board tank you actually want to FILL it up before the winter?? Mine currently only has about 1/8 of a tank. Is it better to then fill this to the top and add stabil??I guess I just figured adding in 16 gallons or so of gas at the end of the year wouldnt be a great idea - but if that is what you guys are telling me? I will do it. smile