• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Vman

I have been out with the bow a few times now and have my doe in the freezer so going back to fishing next week until November when I start looking for a good buck to fill my buck tag with.

How has the duck hunting been going I have been hearing that there are not a lot of ducks around so I am hoping to do a little grouse hunting this month.

One day a week fishing and one day a week grouse hunting I sure love this time of year

Well all I can say is there are ducks a plenty if you are willing to change the normal patterns.The big marsh's have not been good so we have been going to jumping small potholes and doing very very well.We have between the 3 of us close to 25 birds already just jumping potholes. We hunted a couple bigger marsh's opening few days but by now most of the local birds have dispersed and gone to the small potholes. In some cases I mean small no bigger than a 2 car garage. Going to start to bow hunt and see if I CAN GET MY DOE in the freezer and wait for the northern birds to come down.

I have not hunted Russ County much but I hunt some public land in Barron County during gun hunting.

There is plenty of land but also plenty of hunters. If you are willing to put a little work into it and get in away from the roads and logging trails you will find good hunting and little to no hunters just get in there at least a half mile and you will find good hunting.

I hunt out by the rice beds on G and I normally see some decent bucks. But rumor has it the Natives are shooting everything with horns out there this year. I don't know about the rest of you but I think People driving fourwheelers around on state and county land with their guns over their shoulders during the rut isn't right. Also when other hunters are in the woods in camo just trying to enjoy nature and BOOM!! you watch a doe 30 yards away from you hit the deck. It's just not right and something has to be done about this.

Sad to hear that. I live close to that particular area and the same problem exists in the county land by my place. Once the early shoot is over the pumpkin patch comes on Saturday and takes care of anything left. I don't mean to sound sarcastic but the small parcel of county land gets hammered with lots of hunters. I was fortunate enough to harvest a adult doe early on and a nice 7pt. last night. Good luck to all this weekend.

Well anyone else huting Zone C Barron Cty. Nothing for us as of yet. But will keep at it in the hopes one comes in. Bears are not hitting the baits much anymore must be into the acorns that are falling. Well Good Luck to anyone who has a tag.

my son got a nice 6pt the other night but the reason I am telling you is that if someone wants to know those blood lights work GREAT ! We got my son a primos blood light for Xmas last year. Well used it to retrieve his buck and no more bending over on your hands and knee's with a flashlight. turned it on from where he hit the deer and the blood glow's neon. Just followed the glowing trail.

Pretty cool vman and congrats to your son. Did you give up fishing? Caught a 21" smallmouth at 4:00 AM this morning fishing for walleyes. Who'd a thunk a smallmouth would be biting that time of day. BTW, no walleyes but I did have a musky on, got it right to the boat before it bit through the line. Looked to be about 40 inches. Aren't muskies and bass day time feeders?

my son got a nice 6pt the other night but the reason I am telling you is that if someone wants to know those blood lights work GREAT ! We got my son a primos blood light for Xmas last year. Well used it to retrieve his buck and no more bending over on your hands and knee's with a flashlight. turned it on from where he hit the deer and the blood glow's neon. Just followed the glowing trail.

Good to know. It looked like just another expensive gizmo taking up room in the bottom of the pack.

Congrats to your boy!

well still after the bears Only one bait is being hit regularly so went and sat last night only to have the guy who lives just to the east of the cty land I hunt on come out at 6:15 and start shooting his pistol for 20 straight minutes.Granted he is about a 1/3 mile away but that alone will hold bear back.I am thinking my season is done only have enough rotten apples for one more baiting and thats all they are hitting on is the apples and corn mix.

As for waterfowl thi is going to be a bang up year. My sons are doing good on ducks and geese. Think its time to hit the bow stand.

well yesterday morning was a long day cut short. My son and I had gone out hunting where we usually do. We came back for lunch about an hour and we went back out again. Well when my son got to his spot his stand was gone. While we were having our lunch a turck pulled in but we never saw them come back and were gone when we got back to the truck a short time later. I know the truck since it has stickers all over the back window that are pretty explicit. I hunt Barron cty forest land and this truck has never been there before. This happen two years ago when guys would come out for lunch during gun season and late bow season they would go back in nad their stands would be gone.All I got to say is if I see the truck again he won't find it easy to drive away.

I just wanted to pass this on, for fathers day I received an outdoor atlas from Outdoor connection from my son. Well it turned out that I was missing one page . I emailed them asking for a copy of the pages I was missing. Today I received a brand new northern wisconsin addition in the mail. Now that's service.

2 of my sons hunt a 250 parcel of Barron Cty forest south of Hwy 8. Well them and a elderly man who takes his grandson are usually all that hunt it. They talk before going out and my boys get a kick out of how excited the youngster gets. Well everyone is set up on stands everyone knows where each has there stand. Its 7am opening day and they hear commotion in the woods followed by "are you ready?" "yea lets do this". Here comes a group of hunters doing a deer drive at 7am on opening day hooting and hollering all the way. Sunday comes around and the same exact thing happens again. Do the drive and are gone. What makes it really bad is they had a youngster and my son heard them tell him " you don't shoot nothing you let us grown ups shoot the deer". Well the grown ups shot a deer alright about a 75 lb nubbin. That was the extent of what they got both days.These are the types of so called hunters that give hunting a sour name. Granted public is public but no matter where a little consideration of others should always be shown.