Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MILLER TIME

HOW TO TRAIN A DOG TO HONOR ANOTHER?

4 posts in this topic

My brother and i have labs that we would like to hunt together but we are worried that once one finds the bird that the other one will want it and fight for it. They have both shown it in the past and are a little worried and i dont want to take any retrieves from my dog since this is his second year hunting. My idea would be to start with dummies and work our way up to birds but any suggestions would be great. Thanks

The only thing I can suggest is what I have done. I use an e-collar when hunting so when one dog finds the bird I will call my dog back to heel so there is no problem. I still praise my dog even if he did not find the bird. They should catch on fast. If they dont want to heel and your dog is properly trained on commands use the e-collar.

Train the dog to sit on command no matter what. Then when a dog is sent for the retrieve the other should be commanded to sit.

A lot of guys I train with use a box - a 3x3 piece of plywood raised with a 2x2. They make their dog sit on that box - their command is "place" - if I recall correctly. Then they make them sit (hup) and start tossing bumpers, dead pigeons, pheasants over them - making them stay put. They will move all over, from the side, back and front doing the tosses. It's training for steadying to the shot - but also training for honoring another dog's retrieve.

I hope I explained that correctly. I am by no means an expert, but just trying to share some of the things I see the experienced guys do in my training group. Hope this helps!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• So we support intelligence depts now?
    • You mean fake Bruce Springsteen.  The real one is a librul and the fake one didn't want to urinate on the bed of the real one.   I'm sure Trump wanted them to play "Born in the USA" like all the other politicians that have no clue what that song is about but like the chorus.  
    • I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Obama truly is a bigger POS than I thought. Good, God this is bizarro world. By commuting the sentence of this freak show, it's like burning down all the intelligence depts. Why do we have laws? 
    • So Obama is mad at the Russians for hacking and Wikileaks for publishing the hacks yet he just Pardoned Chelsea Bradley Manning who stole secrets and gave them to Wikileaks   This is a real WTF moment.
    • You failed to post the very next part of that very article:     You never patted Obama on the back for any of that oddly enough.    http://www.reuters.com/article/cbusiness-us-gm-tech-center-renovation-idCAKBN0NZ19920150514   So either congratulate both or congratulate neither.
    • Because you are banking on not having to pay it back in your lifetime and are perfectly fine with passing that debt down to future generations which allows you to live a better lifestyle at their expense.  Some of us don't think it'e ethical to pass debt onto generations who will have no say in the process.
    • Buddies from Michigan, MN, ND and WY got here Sunday, started hunting yesterday. Yesterday coulda gone better and coulda gone worse. We had 2 spots in a marsh that we were debating on setting up. Chose spot B. Had we chose spot A, we woulda been absolutely covered up in birds. There was about 1500 pins, teal and a few wigeon sitting there when we came by. at least we shot a couple nice bwt. Total take was 17. One drake bwt was already in the freezer when the pic was taken.    Day 2 was a diver hunt. Mainly had redheads come in, with one nice flock of scaup that we dropped 7 drakes out of. Had 3 flocks of buffies buzz the edge of the longlines but not commit to
    • Parise -4 tonite. Other teams are starting to key in on him.
  • Our Sponsors