• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

replacing floor in pop-up camper

MNHuntress

Question

Well I bought a 86 Starcraft camper for Bow hunting, just a a couple of things wrong and I need some advice. The floor by one bed feels alittle soft and could use new vinyl thru out. I looked under the camper and it doesn't appear to be bad underneath in that soft spot.

I'm planning on replacing the vinyl this winter, has anyone done this? It looks like the cabinets will screw out. The fridge/stove area may be a little tricky to get out.

Also the heater works, but it seems more warm air should be coming out (maybe have a blower or something)? Or is this my imagination and maybe I'm expecting too much and these things don't have blowers and I'll be freezing my butt off in a couple of weeks. It's a suburban brand heater.

So any advice on revamping the camper floor and the heater would be much appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I've done it, lots of work!There all put together differently. Was the camper in a truck bed (for support) when the floor felt weak? Are there metal supports exposed on the bottom side of floor?

Everything inside should screw or un bolt to remove,but the floor has somekind of extra support,then the metal siding has to be at least undone and rolled away from the floor.

I extra insulated one camper for extra heat years back,removed all skin insulated and redone skin,it helped lots.I now have a popup cabover and the heater is basically for cool weather not cold,altho I've used it deerhunting in Mn in Nov it took off some chill but we were always dressed for cold,never relaxed and warm.

MNHuntress, Is this Starcraft a towbehind or pickup box camper? My Dad and I replaced the floor on a towbehind and it is A LOT OF WORK!!! The floor is mounted to the frame and EVERYTHING else is on top of that. We ended up lifting off everything (walls and all) replacing the floor and vinyl and then setting everything back on. The only thing that stayed above the floorline was the corner jacks for the roof. Later, we did find that we could've left the roof on the jacks and just unfastened the tent. Good luck! It is an undertaking. Phred52

Guys this is a tow behind. There are metal supports underneath. Can't we just unscrew the cabinets. Rip out the vinyl floor.See what that soft floor area is about (it's about 1 foot by 1 foot) either replace it or leave it. Put new vinyl back on and screw the cabinets back on or am I thinking this will be way too easy.

I can't figure out that soft area. Everything looks good underneath in that area.

Yes you can,If its soft & rotted there is a product,Cant remember the name?? Its a wood restorer its applied directly to the wood and fills the rot with polymer.Post for its name,I'm sure someone knows what it is.I posted last year after reading about it here and someome replied with product name.

Replacing it may encompass the area within the under supports BIG job!

If it's a 86 I would have to guess that by the time you start taking things apart you'll find it a lot easier just to replace the entire floor. Why do a patch job? Taking up the old vinyl will be a pain. Consider some 3/4 inch treated plywood and get it done so it lasts anouter 15 years for you. Also be sure to paint any parts of the frame that are rusting. Spend a few more hours and a few more bucks and be done with it.