• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Etiquette Around Hunters??

chickeywing

Haven't heard this one mentioned yet but I have been in bass boats traveling at a high rate of speed when we have come around a point or a bunch of reeds and gone through or nearly through a hunter's spread of decoys.....not knowing they were there beforehand and having traveled that path at other times. This has happened twice over the years.

Sometimes it is hard to tell decoys from real especially if you are moving at a pretty good clip. Don't know it is decoys until they don't scatter.

Felt bad about it but hardly any way to prevent it.

Are you kidding me?!! Maybe SLOW DOWN just a bit? Are you implying you will purposely run thru a raft of ducks? Wow some people...I can't believe I just read this.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decoys are going to be set up within 35 yards of shore most of the time. If you are flying around points that close to shore, you are just asking for an accident to take place. Like other people have said, what if a guy in a canoe is around the point or a kid swimming? Also, your wake is dangerous to the other people who maybe hunting in that area and it will damage the shoreline vegetation. I think you are driving too fast near shore to be safe if you cannot stop or turn your boat before running down a flock of ducks or decoys.

By the way, if I were going to say which lake would I be sure to skip for fishing during the duck season, it would be Pelican. That lake gets more duck hunting pressure than any other lake in the metro.

Only made it to page 3, but here're my thoughts. Duck hunters>Fishermen in duck season. As posted, it's shorter, the game's easier to spook, and they have a smaller window/chance of getting what they're going for. If someone shot at me I'd call the cops and stay on their a$$ until someone got there, I don't care who you are, I'd make sure they went to jail. As far as the guy who shot the water between the boats, while in Firearm Safety they said that water is unstable as far as richochetes and that stuff, I thought that was pretty funny, and if I was in your position, I'd probably do something similiar. Although I'm probably around the age you were anyway, lol. By the way, I love fishing more than anything in life, and I'm going duck hunting for the first time this weekend, so I'm not a biased hunter.

Fishing was slow. Anyone see any birds?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start anything. Wasn't a political question.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Hunters have to hide in a blind and set decoys to get the birds to come in. I have to believe if I'm in a shiny aluminum boat standing and throwing bucktails, no ducks will come near. In that case, if I'm in sight of hunters, I'm too close. I never want anyone go get skunked (fishing or hunting) so if I'm effecting the hunting, let me know. The boat loads easy. There are dozens of other lakes within 15 miles of Pelican.

The shotgun crack was kind of a joke. If I'm in a bar and start hitting on the biggest guy's wife, I deserve to get hit. If I pull up within 10 feet of another boat and start throwing spoons at his boat, I deserve to catch a spoon in my forehead. If I start throwing spoons through the decoys, I deserve to catch a couple pellets. If someone puts themselves in a bad situation, they have no one to blame. "You have to be tough if you're going to be stupid."

Catching a couple of pellets, if intentional would probably constitute attempted manslaughter at the least. Other than the threat of death or great bodily harm, it is never "ok" to threaten someone much less pepper someone with a gun. NEVER.

If unintentional the shooter needs to go back for safety training at minimum at maximum needs his shotgun wrapped around a tree. There's just no playing with firearms.

Treat them the same as you would have others treat you... Golden rule still works. I woulndt come within casting distance of another boat fishing or like them casting into my boat. The same holds true for hunters, dont come within shooting distance of their set ups...if your have to ask if your to close...you are.

Had that happen to me last year in the morning tossing for pike at a slew. Was 20 yards from a group of hunters I didn't even know where over there. The only thing seperating us was about a 20 ft. high mound. Fishing there with not a care in the world til the ducks flew overhead. I nearly had a heart attack! I ended up bailing outta there without them even knowing I was there, (I'm thinking.) We've got a much bigger window for fishing, as well as a lot more places. I agree with most, respect the hunters.

I agree with giving duck hunters space but they must also realize if they are fishing a lake there will be boats around. I ran into this issue Sunday morning opening weekend. I fish Goose lake near Stark a lot in the fall and in the past have found it is popular with the duck hunters. Not knowing exactly ware the hunters were I started off fishing a mid lake hump for first light but found no fish on it. My problem was all my tried and true spots had hunters on them. I didnt want to wreck someones hunting but I also wanted to catch some walleyes. I finally ended up fishing about 125 yards from a group of hunters. I decided that I had just as much right to fish as they did to hunt. I cought some nice eyes and they still seamed to get shooting. As far as some fishermen getting rained on by shot I think that is poor judgement by the hunters. All they need to do is let the ducks go a little right or left before the shoot and the problem is solved. A little bit of common sense on both sides would be good.

You did have the right. Just like you have the right to step out in front of moving cars, in and out of the crosswalk. It doesn't mean it is a wise move. 125 yards is not a safe distance and believe me, the guys in the duck blind were not happy to see you. It will take 30-45 minutes for them to move and near that to set up again. The hunting season is short. Give them room and fish somewhere else. I think at that distance hunter harassement might be a possibility.

As a fisherman and a duckhunter. Please stay clear of the duckhunters. We duckhunters really only have a small handful of weekends a year for our sport that are good. There is opener and a couple of weekends around the first of Nov. when the northern birds show up. Then there is the fact that it is really the first 3 or 4 hours in the morning that are productive. Go later in the day if you feel you need to fish somewhere or find a lake that is not hunted. If someone was within 125 yds. of me I would not be happy.

Even outside of duck season there are plenty of times when ducks and geese come in and land within 100 yds of where I fish - not sure what the big deal is at that distance. Any closer than that I think there might be interference though.

Put yourself in the place of the ducks for a second. If you had been flying around minding your own business and you have been shot at several times this morning and you see a nice place to land and rest but there is a boat 100 yards from where you want to land, which looks more like 5 feet from the air. Are you going to chance being shot and land near that boat? There is a reason hunters wear camo and camo their boats and blinds. I don't hunt much but I fish a lot. I do respect hunters and their challenges and I think we should all give them a lot of space.

eyebjim I CONCUR!!! After the ducks have been shot at a couple of times 100 yards can be realy close! About the only time I am happy to see a fishing boat while I am duck hunting is when I am at one end of the lake, they put in at the landing in the middle and go to the far end of the lake and cause the ducks there to get up and fly around a bit. Never like to see them within 400 or 500 yards after the season opens. I know that they have every right to be there as well and I do appreciate it when they stay away. We had a guy troll about 5 feet on the outside of our decoy spread one time! You don't know the things that we wanted to do to that man at that point!!! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Thanks for the input guys but I think if you knew the spot I was fishing you would see it wasn't that big of a deal. 125 yards is a very rough est(probably further).I was also to the side and not directly in front of them The hunters near me were pass shooting with no decoys out on a area between two groups of trees. If they would have had decoys out on the lake I would have gone to another spot.

For that matter they had a normal fishing boat on shore not far from them and not hidden from veiw. IF anything I may have helped keep ducks flying in their direction and not farther out on the lake. I would not expect hunters to move on my part, I only ment they should watch their shot angles. For example if you were deer hunting and you knew another hunter was to the north of you and a deer came between you and the other hunter you would let the deer go until it moves to a safe angle away from the other hunter or not take the shot. I don't care if you are mad or its the only chance at a shot all day you never ever shoot in the direction of another person, no exceptions! As far as keeping over 1/4 of a mile away from hunters this would put most of the lake off limits.As far as fishing a lake without hunters I can't think of any in my area that would not have hunters. As far as hunter harassment If we want to get technical many of the hunters I see on the lake are closer than the 500ft minimum from the nearest house. I have nothing against duck hunters I just think when a space like a lake has multiple uses we all need to be a little understanding. I may not like jet skis going past me while I fish but I realize they also are just trying to enjoy a little free time Until a couple of years ago I was a avid hunter and spent every spare minute in the woods but between having young kids and getting tired of compeating for hunting spots with other hunters I started fishing instead.I also only have a limited time to make it out just like the duck hunters. I like fishing because I can go out without asking permission from land owners and I don't need to scout or set up stands or whatever. I hit the lake beefore sun up and can be home by 8a.m and tend to my family duties. (I would duck hunt more but Im still trying to figure out that shoot and release thing)

Good luck to all weather you are hunting, fishing or just out enjoying a nice fall day. Before we know it we will be talking ice fishing.

If you are hunting waterfowl over water, you do not need to be 500' from occupied structures. You do need to be 500' from livestock. Some local laws may still require 500' even on water but the general state law allows you to be closer than 500'. I generally try to stay as far from homes as possible but you could waterfowl hunt right in from of a home if you were not considerate. I have one guys home I would like to hunt in front of since he is such a jerk during fishing season. Too bad he has no vegetation in the water at his house!

... I have one guys home I would like to hunt in front of since he is such a jerk during fishing season. Too bad he has no vegetation in the water at his house!

laughlaugh I am not sure that would stop me!!! Set up a decoy spread and the boat and everything else, then start BLASTING away at NOTHING BUT AIR at first light on a sat or sunday morning. That would be Hilarious grinlaughgrin