• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Etiquette Around Hunters??

chickeywing

Yesterday, I fished Pelican. After rounding a point, I noticed at least 3 groups of hunters in blinds with decoys ahead of me. What's the proper etiquette? I have never hunted (the fishing is too good in the fall) but I do know not to irritate anyone with a shotgun in hand. Yes, I do wear orange on the river in the fall.

TC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunt and fish during the fall so I can undertand the view from both sides. Personally, I choose not to fish shallow marshy lakes where duck hunters seem to spend a lot of time in the fall. There are plenty of lakes in MN, so it easy to pick a larger body of water that's not known for decent waterfoul hunting and keep a distance from the bays. Sometimes, boats driving around on a large lake can actually move birds around and improve hunting. Once I was fishing for bass on South Lizzie in Ottertail Co. late in the fall and had some not-so-friendly hunters purposefully shoot in the air and peppered my boat with shot. I had BB's all over the carpet of my bass boat. Ducks will not come into decoys, if your fishing nearby. That basically ruins the hunters opportunity at a successful hunt, so stay as far away as you can.

I just started hunting, but I agree with the above posts, though I don't think you have to worry about the "they have guns and you don't". I don't think anyones gonna take pot shots at you, but if they don't see you and are blasting at waterfowl, you could get a pellet shower. I would keep a distance just out of coutesy of others.

I saw your boat on pelican Saturday morning as we headed out. It was first time on the lake, when we came in around noon I noticed the 3 of you fishing near a point. That is another area hunters like to sit at. I for this week hunters can only hunt until 4:00 pm. This is first year, back duck hunting in 7yrs. The years I did not hunt I fished. I would avoid lakes with alot of bulrushes, and fish dockes for bass. I would target lakes with a good walleye population or head to the river. I heard a of the guys on Pelican tell me many of the fish are wormy.

I don't hunt anymore but like the above poster said common sense says to give hunters a wide birth. A hunter doesn't spook your fish but a fisherman could spook his ducks. That being said, any hunter who sprays a fisherman with shot is breaking the law, accidentally or not.

The belief that fisherman only carry rods and reels is not necessarily a correct one.

...The belief that fisherman only carry rods and reels is not necessarily a correct one....

I have no idea what you are talking about whistle

I dont know anyone who would fish and have a gun at the same time whistle

none.... nobody... never...

Like I said before, it is public water, we all have to share it. It is a lot easier for us as fisherman to move to a different spot than for them to do the same.

I wanted to fish pelican with my dad saturday but he reminded me of duck season which I had completely forgot about. We decided to pass on pelican.

Is it true that this lake is still slated to be drained? If so I dont get it, its such a big lake its going to cost a lot to drain it down. What would draining it accomplish anyway?

That's good news Steve, The possible retribution that you face from your "clients" is something that would bother me a great deal.

Back to the topic. It does bring back fond memories of childhood when my dad would drop me off on one of the islands on Boy River to duck hunt and he would fish while I was hunting. We would clean ducks and fish on the dock at the end of the day. Man, that was 35 years ago already.

Once I was fishing for bass on South Lizzie in Ottertail Co. late in the fall and had some not-so-friendly hunters purposefully shoot in the air and peppered my boat with shot.

I would've called the cops on these fools. That is assault with a firearm. Had you been showered with shots in a attempt at waterfowl then it would be an accident, but to intentionally discharge a weapon so to shower you with shots is assault even attempted murder depending on the outcome. Anyone carrying a firearm acting in this manner deserves major jail time.

25 or so years ago when I was a much more of a avid duck hunter than fisherman, the law was anyone couldn't come within 100 yds of a hunters blind. One morning I had a guy and his gal fliping baits into my blind and when I told them to get the H*** out of here his gal started mouthing off, then the only ducks I seen that morn flaired early and I was [PoorWordUsage]'ed, and then the dumb gal managed to get hung up right next to my boat. When they came over to release the bait, her mouth was still going on and on about how it was public water and they had the right to fish anywhere and everywhere so after the guy released her bait I said they don't wan't to fish where there is no fish right! Discharged my shotgun in the water between us and said I don't think there still here, now leave.

Yes, I know I didn't handle the situation correctly but that was 25 years ago and feel I have learned from it.

I don't hunt anymore but my sugestion is to steer clear of all duck hunters and good luck to them.

My dog even growled at her and he like everyone!

HTB

I have heard so many stories about duck hunters shooting at people. It wouldn't bother me a bit to see the sport restricted to private property. Lakes are always going to be a gathering place for the people who live nearby. Many people on the lake don't hunt and are not even aware of the season dates.