Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pkwalleye

is it worth it?

32 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just woke up to a nice little frost this morning.

And i started think bout ice fishing.

I have a hand auger and was wondering if it would be well worth the money to get a gas auger....

What are your thoughts?

Well worth the money unless you stop fishing when the ice gets more then 12" thick. I've been chasing fish on URL in January watching the power head just about touch the ice before breaking threw. I couldnt imagine drilling a few holes by hand threw that.

I would say a gas auger is a must. It makes life ALOT easier when you get later into the season. And you can pick one up for pretty cheap. I have never heard anyone say they wish they didnt have a gas auger. I would say get one, you will be glad you did!

Can you still get a hand auger? lol ......maybe at an antique shop right?

Gas is the only way to go!

Yes it's worth it. It makes it a lot more enjoyable and you can move around a lot more.

2 years ago i bought a hand auger and told my wife that was all i was going to use my first year back on the ice. Well up here in ND that sounded like a grand idea till my first time on the ice and i had 20 inches to drill through. I guess i could survive if i drilled 2 holes, but i like to move. Needless to say, i had a gas auger before long. Now i am having a much better time on the ice.

I was just up at the new Fleet Farm and I was looking at augers, man are they expensive! Cant get a gas auger for under $300 these days. I've been looking around online for used ones with minimal luck... Maybe I can get a deal on one at the ice fishing show if nothing else.

They are definitely worth it though if there is more than a foot of ice..

Ryan

Definitely worth the money. But if you don't have a flasher, I would put that purchase ahead of a powter auger - unless you only do tip-ups or bobbers.

gas augers are always worth it, can drill a ton of holes fast and it saves he arms some work when its thick ice

Take a look on Craigs List. Sometimes you can pick them up pretty cheap as people start to think about new equipment for the season. I got my Stikemaster Magnum 3 at a pawn shop for $50.00. Just put in a carb kit and it starts on the 3rd pull every time. Best ice fishing investment I made next to the Voyager I got at the end of the season one year at Gander for $200.00. Look around the deals wont be at the retailers but on used equipment that gets very little use.

Thanks guys.

My son has been workin alot and he came up with about 100 dollars so we'll see what happens..

And he did get a flasher too with all of his money he has been saving...

PK

(maybe see you guys on the ice)

A good power auger is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

does anyone know of anywhere that has some nice® power augers for lik $100-$125?

Thanks,

PK

I may have to go look into some pawn shops for augers. I've never really shopped or been in for that matter a pawn shop. I guess there is a first time for everything!

Ryan

Nothing beets a couple guys, sharp blades and a hand auger. Better than nothing wink.

I bought my gas auger in 95’ and still use it today. For the abuse it has been through, I am amazed it still starts.

A gas auger is great, but those days of the hand auger (for me) where not all that bad.

I would say if your wife drills the holes stay with a hand auger, you will save money. If you drill the holes yourself then you want to go with a gas auger! That is all I have to say this morning folks.

Yes they are worth it.I got a used one and love it,but it cuts a big hole 10" looking to down size to a 8" for safety of little ones.Anyone have or know I could get a used bottom 8"?ICE JOHN

Check your local paper and craigs list and the for sale forums here.

They're worth it. I'm going to pick up a hand auger for early ice, but the rest of the time gas is the way to go. As others have stated, keep your eye on hsolist and the for sale forums here if you want a deal on a used one.

From what I remember just browsing the sporting good section of hsolist there was a fair amount of gas augers on there last year.

From what I remember just browsing the sporting good section of hsolist there was a fair amount of gas augers on there last year.

Yep, see them all the time on there.

I have a 6" lazer hand auger. I am pretty good with it most of the season. Early in the year its not problem and near the end of the season isnt too bad, but a few weeks in the middle of the winter the ice can get pretty thick.

It hasn't stopped me from moving around, and it weighs a lot less than a power auger. So you don't really need the power auger, but yeah theyre probably nicer.

If you do go with a hand auger though, be sure to get a smaller one like the 6", as they drill so much easier than the larger ones.

I am now waiting for the Strikemaster Mag 2000 8" to come in at the gander in Blaine or Forest Lake. My dad got the gander visa so he has a bunch of 25 dollar coupons I can use and I can probably end up getting it for about 200. I was at Pawn America today in Coon Rapids and they have 3 gas augers there. All look to be in decent shape 2 Strikemaster's and 1 jiffy. Don't know if they are damaged though so I would rather just buy the new one for 200 to be safe.

Good Luck!

Ryan

early season I use my lazer hand auger (7") works great hand drill through 8"'s easily after that it time to fire up the 224

what kind should i look at buying?

Eskimo, jiffy or strike master...........?

Thanks,

PK