• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mathews Fix - Opinions wanted

archerystud

Okay, so I started an earlier thread about cracking a limb. Mathews sent limbs while I was out of town for work and my bow got fixed.

Yesterday I stopped to pick up my bow at the shop. When I got it and looked at it my limbs were BLACK. The original one's were camo. The shop said that is what Mathews sends out now. All of the new bows on the shelf are all camo. I don't care if the camo doesn't match, I don't want glossy black limbs on my bow for hunting!

My bow is only 4 years old and I'm really upset. I'll call Mathews customer service on Monday but I also have a Metro hunt one week from Monday. I really want to get my bow dialed in and start hunting.

Anyways I'm wondering what other's opinions are? If my original bow came with camo limbs, shouldn't I get camo limbs for replacements?

I would think that I would want what I origanally had, I'm sure the reason they gave you black is because they are cheaper to produce....I know it's not a fashion show out there but I think its a matter of principal and customer service...

That was my thought. I could understand if it were my old MQ1 that I shot for years. I could accept black limbs with that one but would prefer a camo. These limbs are kind of shiny as well. I know deer are color blind but they do notice shiny things. Also, the black will not be broken up as much as camo would so they will more easily detect movement.

To say I was very upset when I picked up my bow would probably be an understatement.

When I call Mathews on Monday, I will be apologizing to the customer service rep before I blow up at them. I just feel that this is totally unacceptable for a 4 year old bow.

Man, I would be so very [PoorWordUsage] about that. For what a guy pays for nice bow like ur mathews, you should expect idenical replacements, even though it is cosmetic, that matters, it would to me anyway. Good luck, I hope they send u some new limbs and an apology.

Blowing up at them isn't going to do any good. Calm down. Call them and ask about the camo limbs for your specific bow.

Is it possible that the shop didn't order camo limbs?

What bow do you have? Maybe I can check on it with Mathews.

I would want camo limbs put back on my bow. It would look better and be worth more if every thing matches. I know other people that have got limbs replaced under warranty and they recieve camo to match the bow. Hopefully they will replace them for you. That doesn't help you out for you hunt though. Good luck, let us know what happens.

I wetn to the shop yesterday and yes they did request camo limbs. At least I got my bow all dialed in again. The guy at the shop said that "maybe" they didn't have camo readily available and looking at the time of the year just sent me black limbs.

Camo tape is out of the question on an $800 bow, IMO.

We'll see what they say when I call them.

I would imagine some good customer service from those guys... very competitive market. Tell them you may just upgrade to a new Bowtech or Hoyt w/ all the extra money your household has to blow on hunting equipment. May not be this season, but they should be able to take care of it by your spring turkey hunt

I talked to a Mathews employee last night and it sounds like camo limbs aren't made anymore. Sorry about that.

You could go the camo tape route and after the season send them to get dipped. Not an ideal situation though. Good luck on your hunt.

I killed a lot of deer at close range from the stand and the ground with a recurve with black fiberglass on the limbs.

Spray a light coat of flat finish spar varnish on it and it will dull out the gloss perfectly for hunting and it will not harm anything on the bow.I also dont like the tape and would try to avoid it.

Remember, camo is for the hunter, not the hunted. If you do your job right you can paint your bow blaze orange with a couple of black stripes and still kill a deer just as dead as a camo one.

I do know that $800 was spent on a bow with a limited lifetime warranty and I did not get back the same thing I bought.

So what if you had a 4 year old pickup and it got a rust spot on it? You really don't need to get it fixed for the truck to run but I would complain big time (as I'm sure most others would do as well).

Sorry I blew over the fact your bow is 4 yrs old. Not that it should matter to you and your situation, but my question to Koonie probably needs to be retracted. I'm sure their new bows will be camo.

Still sucks though they don't have any more camo limbs for you. I have no idea what a legitimate timeline to carry replacement parts would be, so I'll refrain from any serious Mathews bashing. I'll leave that to you for now. It sounds like you might be screwed for the rest of the season, but I would make Mathews dip a set of limbs at their expense. In the mean time throw some camo tape on there. The deer won't be able to tell if you don't tell them first. chin up and whack a booner! grin

I do know that $800 was spent on a bow with a Limited lifetime warranty and I did not get back the same thing I bought.

A limited lifetime warrenty does not garantee you get back exactly what you had, but a similar product if the original is not available. If you broke 4 year old bow limbs there stands a chance that the original limbs that were on your bow are no longer in production. Thus you got black ones instead of film diped ones.

The archery industry is dependant on change. They need to upgrade and change constantly to stay ahead of everyone else. We as consumers sometimes fall victom(sp)to that change. It stinks, but that is how it is.

Get serious...Get a Hoyt!

Just kidding, I can understand why you are upset about it. But try to enjoy your bow season this fall. Be thankful you can still hunt and its not a serious problem like your health. Imagine not being able to hunt at all. Maybe that will cheer you up a bit.

As bad as it sounds, I think Neighbor guy is on to something. LImited Lifetime leaves the company an out...

many bows, many hunting bows are now coming with black limbs.. I think you would be fine.. If it still bothers you, as Harv said, paint them yourself. Its really to bad they were not able to help you better.

Quote:
But try to enjoy your bow season this fall.

Best advice.

Quote:
Yesterday I stopped to pick up my bow at the shop. When I got it and looked at it my limbs were BLACK. The original one's were camo. The shop said that is what Mathews sends out now.

I look at it as you did get the repairs done at no cost on an older used bow.

If you have a good relationship with your shop, bought your bow from them, (I) as an owner would have notified you about the issue when the call was made to inform you the bow was ready to pick up. If you had bought the bow from a shop (I) owned, tapping or maybe painting would have been offered to retain your future business.

To me it sounds like the manufacture stood behind a Limited lifetime warranty, but (I hate to say it) your shop dropped the ball by not informing you before the install or at least before you picked the bow up.

I would still further contact with Mathews and let us know how it comes out. Good luck and Good luck hunting.

Edit note:

Better yet I think the shop should have known when you dropped the bow off and informed you then. You could have made calls to Mathews then and had more time to deal with this before your hunt. You can not tell me this is the first time they have run into this. Maybe it is. At that point a service could have been recommended at an addition cost by the shop to get them camo. Maybe they can not do anything to the limbs at the manufactures request.

I just feel there is better ways to handle this at the shop level, rather than having you be shocked at the pick up desk and seeing your bow for the first time..

So are you guys saying a 4 year old bow is "old"? I really don't think that it is old yet.

Update from Mathews:

They are willing to take my limbs back in at the end of the year and dip them, however it will be a different camo pattern.

The licensing agreement that they had with Real Tree had expired and they no longer carry that type of camo. So my limbs and riser will not match but I'm okay with that. However, my service rep also agreed that I should have been notified before the repair was done.

I will be trying both a Bow Tech and a Hoyt next time before I upgrade.

Quote:
So are you guys saying a 4 year old bow is "old"? I really don't think that it is old yet.

Sorry, I did not mean to call your bow old. smile

Sounds like they are coming through for you. Persistence easies resistance. I would suspect this could be the same outcome with any manufacture of bows with a life time warr...

Good luck!