• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what size hand auger?

mrpike1973

mrpike1973, I agree with the second post! I've been into this for the better part of 40 years, I started with a hand spoon auger, then an 8" drill. Icefishing just became a CHORE. I got my first gas Strikemaster and I'll NEVER go back. Now, I EASILY convince myself I need an 'icefishin' fix', I believe I do catch more (mobility factor) and I've found that when I get home I'm in better shape, rather than worn out and fishless. If you watch the for-sale forum on FM, you should have NO PROBLEM finding a used auger (8" is just fine) for a price you can afford. You will not regret the purchase!! Phred52

For a long time I used a 7" strikemaster. That size hole worked fine for everything; lake trout, some nice pike (up to 8 lbs or so), walleye, and crappies, yet was pretty easy to drill a hole with. Easier than my buddies 8" auger, but not night and day different. I now use a 6" strikemaster for early ice, drills even easier and is nice for crappies and walleye, but might be on the small side for pike fishing.

Good luck.

My $.02, Huey

I have an 8 in Mora(swedish) for early and late ice and always in the vehicle for a back up. I think the lazer is nicer, but take care of the blades and most do well enough. Get a good spud bar,to, for testing ice and opening holes.

But for speed and multi-hole fish hunting , nothing beats power. Save up and look in classifieds, Craig's List, etc. The can take a lot of abuse and last for decades so a good used one might be the ticket. Or Save and get an Icegater and rule the hardwater.

I used a hand auger the first year and only went out twice with it. I went out a few more times than that but with someone with a power auger. Then I found a used Jiffy and used it for a year and a half and then last year I got the strikemaster. You can find nice used stuff for just over a hundy.