• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor Safety ?

rusty ironMan

I am looking at taking the plunge and investing in the Arctic Armor bibs/jacket. The one question that I have: do you put the bibs/jacket on when you get on the lake? My concern is that I wouldn't want to be wearing this if my vehicle ever went through the ice. I would think there is potential to be trapped inside a submerged compartment.

Well, i figure if your truck went thru the ice, and your windows were closed, you would have enough time to either A.unlock your safety belt, and B. Remove your jacket, or C. Hop out of your truck and jump as far away from the truck to safe ice, still wearing your arctic armour coat, and bibs.

If your truck did fall thru the ice, the chance of you staying inside of your truck long enough for the water to fill your cab with enough water to push yourself wearing the bouyant arctic armour to the roof of your cab is pretty slim.

I just got the arctic armour gear in camo, and can't wait to use it... all i know is how light, and soft it is... i love it! I've never felt more comfortable in winter gear.

When I drive on the ice, my window is always down and I would much rather have my AA on than to not. Plus the fact that with AA you don't have to wear 4 layers means you won't be all bulky while driving. NICE!

rusty, most trucks go down very very slow. We have had plow trucks on Red break through and allow the driver enough time to get the augers and jacks out of the back before it sank. Getting trapped in vehicles is normaly due to auto locks, just locked doors and a whole lot of panic. You would be pretty amazed how quickly a guy wearing all sorts of duds can get out a window when needed. I doubt the suit would trap ya.

One thing to remember is the hardest part of getting out of the water is finding the hole back through then getting enough ooomph to get up on the ice. The AA suit will help just by giving you a little more lift to get back on the ice.

I agree with all of these guys. It's not gonna hinder you at all. I wear mine all the time. When I hit the ice, I roll my windows down, take the seatbelt off and make sure the doors are unlocked. Doesn't matter what clothes I have that's the way I do it. You need to always think of safety first. AA is the safest and warmest thing on the market right now.

After watching a water demonstration right next to TO a few weeks back at the Game Fair I can weigh in on the question. If what you are asking is with a suit on could you get trapped. If you were unconcious, you could, but then again, at that state you wouldn't be making it out. You can manuever in the water with the suit on and would be able to make your way out.

I picked my suit up on Friday and wore it a lot this weekend on Mille Lacs. It was the best money I have ever spent on outerwear. It is an incredible suit. The material is so thin, but so warm, and waterproof, not resistant, but proof. I sat in the back of a Skeeter 1880 running 50 mph across Mille Lacs in 28-32 degree weather for about 5 miles Friday night with it. I didn't feel a bit of wind coming through the suit anywhere. Last night we rode from Isle to the Red Door on Mille Lacs in some pretty good wind and waves in a Ranger 1850 Reata, I was in the jump seat and no problems at all. Water spray comin back from the wind was not a problem either. I am as happy as I can be with the new suit.