• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many decoys are you putting out tommorow

In the past I've put out everything I have, 36 mallards, 4 feeders, and 6 canadian, all floating decoys.

I've been reading some articles and I think that's probably more than I need. This year I am thinking of less, the area we hunt is a small slough so I'm thinking 2-3 dozen might be better.

84 dozen flambeau super magnum mallard floaters, 16 dozen woodies, 98 dozen teal, 45 dozen pintails, 75 dozen goose floaters, 2 swans, 1 egret, and a couple sandhills. All together about 4,139 decoys, that shoudl do the trick. I plan on hauling them on my back in one giant bag santa borrowed to me for the weekend.

I'm sure we will put out to many just like most others. 4 dz mallards 1 doz woodies 1/2 doz wigeon 2 doz teal and 4 dz honkers. all in all openning weekend you could prolly get by with ZERO since everyone else is pass shooting ne ways so decoys really dont help IMO

I put out 18 to 2 dozen Goose decoys out to my RIGHT

1 dozen Duck decoys A Little over to my LEFT.

The ducks love those Goose decoys just as much if not better than the Duck decoys!

I think 4,139 decoys is slightly over kill.

grin Thanks I needed a good laugh today

Butch has got it. We use all the decoys that dont have much color or try not to well through out a few that are colorful but try to keep it low in color looks more realistic. I'll set out as many as i need so probably a few doZ with alittle of everything mixed in.

if your hunting a resting area that holds lots of birds then numbers help but ne were else your just making your spread look cool. lots of decoys on the water placed in the right arragement looks great make sure to leave landing spots tho!

2.5doz goose dekes, 1doz mallards (3 drakes), 6 bw teal (all hens) and 3 woodies (1 drake).

That's what we'll roll with for the first couple weekends. After that, we'll see what kind of activity, movement and species are around.

I used 2 dozen mallards. 1 dozen were super mags, the other were lif-size. 4 woodducks, 3 teal, 3 duck butts, and 10 geese. ducks decoyed very well. almost too well. made me think I know what im doing but im sure my next hunt will prove me wrong. haha

Saturday used 5 Mallard decoys, 4 hens and one beat up drake. Birds came right in. Decoys were set three 20 yards left and two 15 yards right. Got dozens at home but how realistic is that.

Sunday added two hen wood duck dekes. Had flocks of up to 30 mallards come in after a couple passes Sunday

Saturday we used 2 doz mallards and 2 doz ringneck/bluebill dekes.

Sunday, after seeing several large flocks on Ringnecks in the area, we employed 2 doz. mallards, two air luckys, and three doz. Ringneck/bluebill dekes.

Me and my hunting buddies did the math and have 18 doz dekes that we can employ, but I don't thnk we ever will! laugh Still not close to that 4,000 number though!! ha!