Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LovenLifeGuy

ND pheasant trip

6 posts in this topic

Im heading on a ND pheasant hunt trip for the first time this year. We are going to Dakota winds in s/w ND. Anyone hear of it and know what they are all about. It looks to be a very nice place and I cant wait! I just have a hard time spending this type of money pheasant hunting when going on my own in MN can be pretty good.

Anyone heard anything about this place?

Never been there but have relatives who farm 45 quarters in the Bowman area and you will see a ton of birds. We go down every MEA and hunt for 4 days on family land. It seems every year we are done by 9:00 or so. The nice thing about ND is you can hunt at sunrise. But once you get down in that part of the country you will learn that you don't have to go out early to beat the crowds.

you wont be dissapointed. Theres tons of pheasants, huns , and sharptails in western Dakota. Hunt near williston and its a blast, nice country, and people are generally nice compared to minny landowners.

From what these guys are saying, it sounds like I want to go with you. Wow, what a great sounding trip!

About 5 years ago I went about 40 miles south of Williston and and had a great hunt. The next year I went out with my family - exact same weekend, exact same places, and only saw a couple of hens. Found out later that the area had been extremely dry during june-August and there was a lot of chick mortality due to the lack of bugs

(water = bugs for the chicks). I was told that if I had moved over a few miles I probably would have found an area that had some moisture and would have had very good success.

So, be prepared to move around a bit if you don't score. We hunted primarily public and PLOTS ground and didn't have trouble finding places to hunt. There was some fee hunting out there but I don't know if that's taken off or not.

BTW - the small towns shut down pretty tight by about 8 so don't wait to get your dinner.

Thanks for all the info. The place we are staying has 10,000 private acres to hunt. With the season being so young when we go I have to imagine these birds are going to be plenty dumb still. I can't wait! The duck opener today and a few MN pheasant trips will have to keep me and the pup happy until we go.