• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Counter.....How important are they?

Mike Stark

What rods do you guys like to use for trolling with a line counter. Cranks for eyes mainly.

I am looking at a new setup for this.

Thanks

I like to use my Limit Creek trolling rods for it. Have two with line counters and they work awesome.

Not many $200 trolling rods out there. At least that I have seen. No need for those prcey rods for trolling. All the rods I listed are from $30 to $80. The rods dont need to be graphite and most are glass or a composite/mix. Ugly stick does make a few good trolling rods though. Many guys I know use and love them.

To tel you the truth my Gander board rods that I get when they are 25% off are some of the better performing rods I have. I paid about $24 for them if I remember correctly. My Shimano Taloras are a little more spendy but they can take some serious abuse. They are in the $70 range but well worth it. I wont spend big bucks on a rod that sits in a holder all the time. Even my bottom bouncing rods are fairly cheap bass pro models.

I spend more $ on my jigging/rigging rods. Thats where the sensitivity comes in and thats when the graphite and lightness counts and thats when they get spendy.

Even at that there are a lot of very nice sensitive rods out there in the $75-$125 range. Just look for good sales.

Right now Gander has 50% off orange tag items. I just got a $100 Rapala jigging rod for $25. Look for deals and you will find them this time of year. They have to make room for ice fishing gear thats just starting to come out.

IMHO it depends on the type of trolling you do and structure you fish. If you are going to fish walleyes on the bottom, you can get by without one, as your going to need enough line out to hit bottom, and you'll know when your there! Take trolling he shallow rocks on Mille Lacs, can do it just fine with no line counter.

If you are going to be targeting suspended fish then a line counter IS A MUST to get baits at the depths you want them to run, and there is really no way to do that without knowing how much line you have out. Now take trolling out on the mud flats on Mille Lacs wanting to target fish 20 feet down over 30 feet of water, a line counter is a KEY piece of equipment.

For suspended fish a line counter and one of hte trolling books will serve you well.

I use Daiwa Sealine 17's for walleyes and the Sealine 47's on my Musky trolling rods. Have never had either model let me down.

Great thread.

I just picked up a Okuma Magda Pro MA 20dx line counter reel today. I was going to start a thread and ask about how good of a reel is it, but after running threw this thread I am going to keep it. I got at nice price also.

Now, just have to narrow down a good ML trolling rod to put it on grin

Now, just have to narrow down a good ML trolling rod to put it on grin

Put it on a Shimano Talora TLA-80ML-2 and you will have a fantastic combination to troll for walleye's with cranks. I also like to put Rod-N-Bobb's Rod Beacon lights near the rod tip so I can see the rod tip action while trolling at night.